The Bottom Line
- Conveninent and easy to use
- Trims your dog's nails without causing pain
- Results in shorter, smoother nails than with nail trimming
- Dogs acclimate well when product is properly introduced
- Cordless design is easy to handle and battery charges quickly
- Filing band may break, causing plastic to heat up or even melt
- Rotary tool files dog nails gradually
- Protective plastic guard helps to keep nail in place
- Adjustable to ten different speeds
- Cordless design comes with compact charger
- Two extra filing bands are included
- Website provides detailed instructions on use, including video tutorials
- Cost: $39.99
- Also available:
- Peticure Petite for small dogs and cats
- Peticure Power with electrical cord, a professional grade tool
Guide Review - Review of Peticure Elite Grooming Tool
I tested the Peticure Elite model on my Lab mix for several weeks. The product came with easy instructions for assembly and use. Peticure recommends visiting their website to view video demos. It is very important to learn the correct technique for use and to get your pet properly acclimated to this product.
My dog has thick nails, so I was happy to see how well the Peticure filed them. I gradually introduced the product over several days. According to the instructions, I filed each nail for 3-5 seconds, alternating nails and repeating the process several times. I filed my dog's nails a little bit each week, and I was pleased to see how her nails stayed smooth and short. My dog was calm and compliant each time.
On my third use of the Peticure Elite, the filing band broke. The product details did explain that a band will typically last a few sessions. I did not realize that the band had broken until the plastic guard became hot. When I turned the Peticure off, I saw that part of the band had slightly melted the top of the plastic guard. I advise that users of the Peticure to keep a close eye on the plastic guard when using this product. Because the chamber fills with debris, it can be difficult to see if the band has broken. I easily replaced the filing band and have not had another problem since then.
Overall, I found the Peticure Elite very effective and convenient. I like this grooming product and plan to continue using it to file my dog's nails on a regular basis.