Teaching the down command to your dog is almost as simple as sitting
. This command is very useful to help your dog calm down in a hectic situation, or to keep him in the stay command for a long period of time.
Time Required: 5-10 minutes 2-3 times per day
- Get your dog’s attention and show him that you have a treat in your hand.
- Hold the treat in front your dog’s nose.
- Say your dog’s name followed by the word “down,” spoken clearly and firmly.
- Slowly move the treat towards the ground.
- As soon as your dog’s elbows and hocks are on the ground, say “good down” in an upbeat tone.
- Give your dog the treat followed by petting and praising.
- Repeat 5-6 times.
- If your dog does not lie down on his own after a few tries, avoid pushing him down. Next time he naturally lies down, say “down,” then praise and reward him.
- Hold short training sessions throughout the day in various locations, both indoor and outdoors.
- Once your dog becomes and expert at lying down, you no longer need to give a treat every time – only occasionally. However, rewarding with praise is always a good idea.
What You Need
- A handful of your dog’s favorite treats