How to Trim Your Dog's Nails
From your Dogs Guide
Trimming your dog's nails is important and fairly easy to do yourself.
Time Required: 5 to 20 minutes
- Find a comfortable spot for your and your pet. Small dogs can be done in your lap, larger ones on the floor.
- Put your dog in a laying down position.
- Roll her onto her stomach, manually, or have her do it.
- Take the first paw, it does not matter which one you start with. Using the file, clean the dirt from under her nail. Be careful!
- Locate the "Quick", the vein theat travels under his nail.
- Take your clippers and cut the front of the nail off, not too close to the Quick.
- File the sharp edges down with the file.
- Continue with the rest of the nails on that paw.
- Praise your dog effusively, give her a treat.
- Start on the next paw.
- Before attempting this, acclimatize your dog to having his toes handled.
- Be calm. Your nervousness will transmit to your dog.
What You Need:
More How To's from your Guide to Dogs