1. Home

Jenna Stregowski, RVT

Dogs vs. Cats: Why Dogs Are Better Than Cats

By February 10, 2013

Cat and Dog Posing Photo

Being that this is a dog-centric site, I don't have to convince you that dogs are the greatest pets in the world. However, I need your help to show the rest of the world. There has been an ongoing war between two groups of people: the "dog people" versus the "cat people". Now it's time to face off. Dog people, we know that dogs are the better pet. We cannot live without the canine species. Can we convince cat people to see it our way?

Okay, in all seriousness, I adore both cats and dogs. I am also a cat owner about to get in deep trouble with my kitties! I'm just getting you geared up for a little friendly competition. Franny Syufy, the Cats Guide here on About.com has proposed a little rivalry (all in good fun, of course): Let's all try to prove which is the better pet, cats or dogs. Check out my article 10 Reasons Dogs Are Better Than Cats and see if you agree. Franny has put together a rather convincing argument in her piece, 10 Reasons Why Cats Are Better Than Dogs. Amy Shojai, the Puppies guide here on About.com is in our corner with her article, Dogs vs Cats: 10 Reasons Puppies Are Better.

Once you have made up your mind (and I know you will make the right choice), go vote in the poll: Which Are Better Pets? It's going to be a tough competition, so rally all your dog-loving friends to cast their vote for our side. Help dogs take the lead!

Photo © mdalmuld on flickr

Comments

February 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm
(1) John says:

Dogs are better because:
Dogs consider their owners as family. Cats consider their owners as staff.

February 10, 2013 at 11:25 pm
(2) Jenna - Dogs Guide says:

John, I couldn’t agree more!

February 14, 2013 at 4:56 am
(3) Howard says:

There are many reasons why dogs are far superior companions than cats or people or anything. Specifically; I cant help but notice how many people are not walking their cats when i go to the park with my dog. A dog is a 24/7 pal; while I do like cats (that behave like dogs); it does seem like they are more like an ornament found only in the home. I really do not get how a cat is superior in any way to a dog as a pet. They are cute and fun at times; but maybe I am spoiled….I go everywhere w/ my Rikki (black lab -pit mix)….10 yrs…..24/7 and the only place she wears a leash is at petco or petsmart……we go in heavy traffic and she is very smart so i like showin off and dont even look at her as cars whiz past……it sounds careless but we have a lot between us and i can tell you tat we we are out there like no other dog and owner=i feel what others dream about…..so proud to be on her team of 2.

February 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm
(4) Beth W says:

I’ll preface this by saying that I love both dogs and cats and have had both as pets. I would like to have a cat again at some point, but really can’t now because I have 5 dogs. My cats have all been friendly purr-verts who loved people. However, I have never heard a of any cat referred to has heroic and selfless and I have heard both of those about dogs. Humans and dogs have been a team for more than 20,000 years. We have mutual trust, understanding, loyalty and affection that are found nowhere else between two completely different species. There is also forgiveness in dogs that I haven’t noticed much in my friends’ cats. Let’s face it, humans are not perfect. If we’re grumpy or out of sorts, cats tend to hide until the coast is clear. A dog will seek you out, fearlessly put his/her chin on your knee and look you in the eye to offer comfort. I could never be without at least one dog in my life.

August 2, 2013 at 11:57 am
(5) nick says:

Are you kidding me!? The “10 reasons cats are better than dogs” article is a joke compared to the opposite article. Most of the reasons are purely subjective, hell one of them is “dogs can’t purr”. The arguer of cats is grasping at straws after the first point, which is just proof alone that cats really don’t make better pets than dogs.

April 4, 2014 at 8:19 am
(6) Robin says:

Its because hard to take care of her then the dogs, who is easly handled at the home without any specific kind of troubles.