1. Home

Jenna Stregowski, RVT

Dog Breed of the Week: American Pit Bull Terrier

By November 28, 2012

American Pit Bull Terrier Dog Breed

The American Pit Bull Terrier is a tough-looking dog that is muscular and athletic. But beyond the breed's tough exterior is a huge smile and a heart of gold. Nicknamed the "pit bull," "pit" or "pitty," this breed is a source of controversy. Unfortunately, the pit bull has one of the worst reputations of all dog breeds. This breed has a history as a farm dog and hunter, but it also was once commonly used in dog fights. Sadly, the pit bull is still found in illegal dog fighting rings. Bottom line, the pit bull was historically bred to be a companion dog and makes an excellent companion dog to this day.

Despite its attributes, the American Pit Bull Terrier is not the right dog for everyone. Pit bulls are generally high-energy dogs with strong prey drives. They need plenty of exercise and mental stimulation. They also desire to spend time with their humans and do not thrive as outdoor dogs. Think this could be the breed for you? Learn all about the American Pit Bull Terrier and decide for yourself.

Photo © Joe Hammer

Comments

November 28, 2012 at 3:27 pm
(1) Virginia Paws for Pits says:

Pit Bull Terriers are so loving and loyal. Just as with any other dog, if raised and treated right, they would be a perfect addition to any home! Please consider adopting or fostering one today!!!

November 28, 2012 at 4:30 pm
(2) laura says:

I have aquired my love for pb’s doing rescue work and they r deinitely the dog for me!!

November 29, 2012 at 7:17 am
(3) Noreen says:

My daughter has 2 of these loving dogs and they are high energy. One terrier they acquired as a pup, he’s now ‘the old man’ because of his hips and allergies. The second, Tazmania, was a rescue who was mistreated and malnourished with mange. She’s now a 90 lb. lover with a glossy coat and is the playmate to my 5 year old grand daughter.

My son had an American Pit Bull Mastif named Gus. Gus was 115 lbs. of sheer muscle with a head the size of a lion and paws bigger than your hand but he was a gentleman. My son and his family live in Chicago and when his wife would walk Gus I never worried because when someone stopped her to ask about the dog because of his size, Gus would sit directly in front of her (sometimes on her foot) and watch the stranger very carefully. He was her champion. We lost our Gussie to cancer about 3 years ago and I still miss him.

November 29, 2012 at 10:27 am
(4) Exercise My Dog.com says:

Pit Bull Terriers are wonderful family dogs and like Virginia says when you raise your dog properly, they are loving and loyal. Ours was an older puppy when we brought him home to our 4 and 5 year old and cat. He loves the kids, tussles with the cat one minute and naps on the couch with her the next minute. We have had countless sleepover and my kids friends in the house–he loves the attention and a just wonderful with kids. He is territorial of his house, he will bark at anyone at the door, but once you are in, you are friends. And he sleeps with my son every night for the last 7 years. I can’t recommend Pits enough for a family that has the energy to raise and play with them. They are just loving!

November 29, 2012 at 3:16 pm
(5) Dave K says:

Best dogs ever. they are high energy when you want them to be (playtime!) and very mellow when they are lounging around the house. I have always owned boxers which are also high energy but they really never mellowed out as much as my pittys! very loyal, smart, lovable dogs. my two little baby boys also love our two pits Monte and Anya!!!

November 29, 2012 at 7:15 pm
(6) Angelina says:

I had a female “Red Devil”-fawn coat with tan nose and grren eyes. She was with me 24/7 and hung with the babies in infant care. They were her babies and she was my shadown. Miss her to this day.

November 30, 2012 at 11:53 am
(7) Marie Whittle says:

Sorry, it’s like playing Russian Roulette these days with the inbreeding and fight training. I would never be willing to take a chance with my grandchildren.

December 4, 2012 at 10:21 am
(8) burns_suck says:

my first two dogs were pitt, so after them i rescued another pitt from the pound. you can tell when their in a good home, they often smile! they are great with kids, putting up with pulled ears and tails with an energetic lick. some of the most intelligent dogs i’ve ever seen.

December 4, 2012 at 11:25 am
(9) Bonn says:

My pit bull’s name was Tank, and yes, he fit that name to a tee. I ripped my jeans climbing a chain link fence to rescue him from a snow drift. 65 pounds of sheer muscle. I remember my moms neighbor’s Yorkie got loose and came charging at my Tank while her owner screamed “Save my dog! OMG! Save my dog”. Tank just stood there while the Yorkie raced around him in a circle barking his head off. Tank looked at me as if to say “make it stop mommy”. LOL. Tank was the ONLY dog in the neighborhood that the cats liked. Trust me, the cats HATED every dog. Many times I would look out the window and see Tank sitting in the yard with cats sitting next to him………..There are pitbulls out there like Tank, and it breaks my heart to see them lumped into the pack of killers. RIP Tank, the whole street misses you.