1. Home

Jenna Stregowski, RVT

Dog Breed of the Week: Bichon Frise

By May 23, 2012

bichon frise dog breed photo

The Bichon Frise is one of the most popular small dog breeds today, and for good reason. This little cotton ball dog is a bundle of joy! The breed also happens to be one of many dogs considered hypoallergenic dog breeds. The playful and happy Bichon is relatively easy to care for, an affectionate companion and a great dog for kids.

Bichons are small yet sturdy and possess jovial personalities. Due to their fluffy and curly white hair, many people call them "living stuffed animals." If you are looking for a lovable, snuggly small breed dog, the Bichon Frise just might be the breed for you. If the wonderful Bichon has already become a member of your family, tell us all about it here!

Photo © mrRobot on flickr

Comments

June 1, 2012 at 4:59 am
(1) Ann Marie Hoff says:

I firmly believe that little white dogs can heal the world. By little white dogs I mean the Bichons & the bichon crosses that become fosters & adoptees at Small Paws and BichonFurKids. and by the world I mean anyone that comes into contact with them. You see, these dogs are big loving hearts with white curly hair attached. They ALWAYS have a smile on their faces, are ready to go at a moments notice, and know full well that without play, a human or a dog would die.

The rumor is that these Bichon Fricheses come from the Canary Islands, also know as “the island of dogs”. I have had more than a chuckle or two, thinking of these islands having white curly haired dogs running rampant, fending for themselves by hunting….well, what would bichons hunt in the wild? Because in my house, my Bichons wait patiently while I put their favorite meals in the oven: Roasted chicken, lean pork chops, pork loin and ribs, and of course, nothing like a steak cooked medium rare.

My Bichon Poodle cross, Gracie, loves to catch the stray packrat that meanders thru our backyard and kill it. Then she plays a game of “keep away” with her non-hunting sister, Lucy. Neither of them would ever dream of eating the coveted treasure. No, cooked skinned and plucked is the way m bichons like their food. Maybe somehow, on that Canary Island they could order take out.

June 1, 2012 at 5:01 am
(2) ann Marie Hoff says:

My dog Patsy was my first Bichon. From when she was 3 months old, she would lean out of my arms, over towards the human of her choice, and connect the top of her head with the person’s heart chakra. Patsy would look around the room, then nod her head towards the person she wanted to work with. Then, as they connected I would feel the energy surge thru her body and into the recipient. Once she felt it was enough, she broke the connection and looked for the next person she wanted to work with. Patsy never refused to work with anyone, but sat up in my arms then nudged me to the next human, until she had touched everyone in the room, the sickest people first. It was totally amazing, a miracle beyond miracles. Here was an angel that manifested in physical form. At first Patsy chuffed at tobacco smell on people, and then she trained herself to not respond to the smell.

I fully believed that my Patsy was a miracle of miracles. I loved her, her amazing gift, and her rock solid optimism. When Patsy died, I naively thought that the “gift” died with her.

Patsy died on Leap day last leap year, in the fall, I was called to look for a lost Bichon (I am an animal psychic) She was where the guides told me she would be, I found her, but unfortunately, the dog was dead. Working with the Bichon rescues for the case, I realized it was time for me to adopt new dogs.

I drove over to San Diego on Labor Day Weekend and met with a matched pair of bichon girl dogs up for adoption with BichonFur Kids. They met me at the door, mobbed me, and I sat down to licking tongues, happy paws and joy. We belonged to each other from that moment. These two dogs were insecure, in poor health, and needing guidance. They took to being my dogs like a sponge soaks up water. We had been together long before this, in the space that the guides say is outside of time.

June 1, 2012 at 5:03 am
(3) Ann Marie Hoff says:

#3
In the weeks after I took home my girls, I found that they too leaned backwards out of my arms and onto the arms and chests and hearts of the people in the room with us. They targeted the passerby’s, the elderly, the infirm, no one was an exception to be excluded, they leaned back and loved everyone, with reckless abandon, and cause as much of a stir as Patsy did, all people calling it a miracle, that these dogs that “hug” and love.

I thought perhaps “ALL” dogs leaned over backwards, that it was something they did with me, because as an animal communicator, I made the dogs feel safe. However, I took hold of the neighboring cocker spaniel that visited my home everyday, and held her securely, then tried to lean her back and over into a back bend putting her head on a friend’s chest. This dog, Daisy almost killed me- wanting up quickly and to be put down, on the ground, where the normal dogs hang out.

I have no idea how I currently have two dogs that love everyone in such a specific way, that are so unique. What I do know is enough to not ask a “gift dog” in the mouth. This life is blessed but also absurdly funny and joyful, and filled with magic. It has been since a day 14 years ago, when I saw a litter of Bichon Fricese puppies, and took the runt of the litter to be my parent’s dog. Then the American airline strike happened, and I couldn’t take the puppy back to my parents in a timely manner. Two weeks later the planes were flying again, and I could not give Patsy to my parents as l had planned, I simply loved her that much, she was mine.

I recommend finding a Bichon as soon and as fast as possible. Your life will be that much better, having one. If you can’t own a Bichon, visit one. If you are around them for a few hours, you will realize, dogs, specifically Bichons, feel quite comfortable with the future of the world: they create the joy that allows people to be opportunistic about the present.

June 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm
(4) Georgia says:

I have a Bichon and he is the love of my life! He is special needs and very prone to allergies so we have to watch his diet very closely. Otherwise he is a very healthy and happy little man. We never give him people food, only his Natural Balance sweet potato & chicken L.I.D. food and treats, and you’d never know he was allergic to wheat, soy, and corn. His smile lights up my world!

September 26, 2012 at 12:44 am
(5) Simon says:

I have had a amazing Bichon in my life for over 3 years now.

My GF had her since a puppy and when we moved in together Delilah was three years old.

She gives me the most attention, I love it but mom sometimes feels left out I think.

I can’t imagine life without her now, and she even loves my cat (they are BEST FRIENDS) that I brought to the relationship. My cat is not the typical anti-social type but very “dog like”. The two of them sit all day while we are at work together, side by side on the couch when I get home resting quietly touching each other.

She is a godsend and always knows when I’m down.

I always wanted a “man dog” and will still get one someday (a Shephard or something like that), but now Bichons are no.1 with me.

I did notice as some on the web say, even when she is acting bad you can’t be too harsh in your correction or they get very down very quick. A firm deep voice works best.

October 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm
(6) scotttucker says:

Howdy! I realize this is kind of off-topic but I had to ask.
Does building a well-established blog such
as yours take a lot of work? I am completely new
to operating a blog but I do write in my diary every day. I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my own experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!