1. Home

Basset Hound and Child Snuggling - Photo of Dog and Kid

Over the last week, I have seen multiple stories on the Web about the potential risks of sharing the bed with your dog. As covered by CNN Health, the February issue of a CDC health journal contains a report about various pathogens we can get from snuggling with our dogs. The UK's Daily Mail says that allowing your dog in your bed "may increase the chances of contracting everything from worms to the bubonic plague."

Yes, It is true that there are several zoonotic diseases that all pet owners should know about. However, I think these stories can be taken the wrong way and cause some unnecessary alarm. Personally, I feel that a study like this should serve as a reminder to keep our pets healthy. The decision to allow your dog on the bed or other furniture is one of personal preference. Like many of us, I cuddle with my pets and have always allowed them on the bed and couch. They are kept current on vaccines and get regular vet check-ups, and I have never had any problems. Working in the veterinary field, I do understand the risks associated with handling animals - especially those with unknown histories. But when it comes to my own pets, I know the risk is minimal.

It's a bit of a controversy among dog owners. Many of us cannot imagine banishing our dogs from the bed or sofa, while others are completely against dogs on the furniture. What's the right thing to do? The truth is, there is no rule that is set in stone. It really depends on you and your dog. What's your opinion? Do you allow your dogs to share your bed, couch or other furniture? Tell us why or why not.

Photo © mollypop on flickr

Comments

January 27, 2011 at 10:14 am
(1) kate, nyc says:

Dogs spreading germs in bed and/or on the sofa? Screw that, they’re bunking with me. All of my life my dogs have had, and will always have, access to my couch and my bed.

I’m much more concerned about humans and their germs, like the ones my idiot co-worker is currently spreading. She has strep.

January 27, 2011 at 8:37 pm
(2) DIANA says:

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH KATE! HUMANS CAN BE SO FULL OF
GERMS!

January 29, 2011 at 8:50 pm
(3) Patrish says:

My dogs have never slept on the floor. They share my bed and any other furniture I have. As long as they are kept bathed and are flea treated…I don’t see any problem.

February 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm
(4) jay says:

DITTO TO THAT……THERE ARE GERMS EVERYWHERE…HUMANS ARE VERY FITHLY AND THEY SHOUDL KNOW BETTER…AS LONG AS THE PETS ARE KEEP HEALTHY…SHARE THE BEDS…..FURNITURE…COVERS…

January 27, 2011 at 10:34 am
(5) Doberkidsmom says:

I keep hearing these comments on talk shows, etc I am so sick of this idoit topic………..first of all this is srictly a personal preference, whether you allow your dogs & cats on furniture, sleep with you etc……………as for me and my household, my dobermans have always slept under the covers with me……Hey they like to be warm also!!! The cats too……

If your animals are kept clean and healthy……….to be honest there are filthier people!

January 27, 2011 at 3:22 pm
(6) patty says:

I couldnīt agree with you more , i have 3 doberman and they have always slept under the covers with me, they are the gentlest most loving beings. I canīt imagine not having one to sleep with.

January 27, 2011 at 10:42 am
(7) Lynne says:

Heck with the reports, the dogs sleep with us!! Like others have said here, they deserve to be comfy, too. We have a Puggle puppy, 6 months old, who has just graduated to the bed (sleeping with us and our 11 year old Boston). She is so content, and so are we! Occasionally we are joined by one of the cats.

I agree with Jenna, these are my pets, they have their vet checks and are current on shots. If it were an unknown dog, I might worry, but not with my guys.

And they’re equally at home on the furniture!

January 28, 2011 at 12:54 am
(8) Teri says:

I too have a puggle and since she was about six months old she has slept with me. Before I let her on the bed, she cried herself to sleep in the kennel. Then my sister said, why not let her on the bed? It was the best move! She snuggles up under a blanket next to me and rarely stirs the whole night. She’s content and very cozy. Who knows what kind of neurotic dog she would have been if I hadn’t followed my sister’s advice!

January 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm
(9) Steve says:

It wouldn’t be the same without our dachshund leaning up against us all night, even though I would probably sleep better without the extra pressure. It has never been about pests in our bed. We keep our dog very clean.

January 27, 2011 at 12:09 pm
(10) Gail,SanDiego says:

You have a choice that they don’t sleep with you? From the day he came into my house my dog has slept with DH and I, he’s part of our family. OK if you are ill or the dog is ill, that’s one thing, but otherwise, you won’t catch the germs off a dog like you would a (two legged) kid that sleeps with you!

January 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm
(11) Mary F. says:

Our dog USED to sleep with us in our King size bed & climb onto our couch until we moved ten years ago to our current home. For some unknown reason, he refused to climb into our bed or our couch & only sleeps only one of his four beds (one for office, great room, bedroom & patio!). We tried to coax him to jump on the bed with us but he refuses. For me, I am happy because that means no more fur on our couches or bed! AND, I can sleep w/o my hubby accidently pushes me off the bed when our dog extends his body & legs on my hubby’s side! :-)

January 27, 2011 at 2:22 pm
(12) Vicki says:

My dachshund has slept with since I got her when she was 5 weeks old. Of course, we were traveling and she had no other place to sleep. Then the yorkie-poo was adopted and she likes to sleep on top of the covers while the doxie sleeps under the covers. They keep me nice and warm and I wouldn’t stop either of them from laying on or in the bed or on my lap in the recliner. I just don’t have room for another one. LOL

January 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm
(13) Elizabeth says:

My Labrador and Rat terrier both sleep in my bed, despite my having various allergies, they don’t seem to trigger anything. I do have a nightly battle with the Labrador however, who has issues with having humans in his bed and makes every attempt to push me onto the edge, but other than that no problems!!!

January 27, 2011 at 3:26 pm
(14) Yorkiemama says:

My 2 Yorkies sleep in my bed. They are groomed every 6 weeks and are superbly cared for so I do not have any hesitation about letting them sleep in my bed. You can get far worse diseases from other human beings.

January 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm
(15) Sherri says:

I have had dogs on the covers and under the covers and 3 on the bed at once. We have never caught worms or anything from them. We had one farm dog that slept between us. One of us got his feet the other got him right up next to you back. People that don’t like animals don’t have a heart.

January 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm
(16) retrieve says:

All of our goldens have always joined us on the bed for over 25 years and we have never had a health problem caused by them. When our last golden left us, we adopted two more and this was the first experience with multiple goldens. Other than having to buy a king size bed to accomodate all of us, there is no downside to letting them sleep with us.

January 27, 2011 at 4:44 pm
(17) Jeanne says:

Our daschund sleeps under the covers and English springer spaniel sleeps on the covers. I would miss them so much if they decided to sleep in their own beds! I wouldn’t have it any other way. Who cares what people say or THINK! We are ready for a king size bed though :)

January 27, 2011 at 5:28 pm
(18) Shannon, MN says:

King size bed, 80 lb labordoodle, 60 lb goldendoodle. All 4 of us at once, wouldn’t have it any other way!!

January 27, 2011 at 6:43 pm
(19) justin says:

these news reports are just so tiring,i have two staffordshire bull terriers,oscar whos two and a half and hades who is 4mnths,they boyth sleep on the bed with me and my partner apart from sometimes fighting to gain some room ive never had a problem and its so nice to see them both all snuggled up,snoring away lol,would nt have it any other way……

January 27, 2011 at 7:03 pm
(20) whitecrane says:

I have 2 Chinese Crested Dogs. One is hairless, the other is a powder puff (very hairy). Although they both will cuddle up with us on the bed, they will eventually jump off the bed and curl up together in the larger of two dog beds. It just seems to be their personal preference.

January 27, 2011 at 10:21 pm
(21) Scott says:

Our Border Collie Tator sleeps with us most the time. My wife works overnites so he lays with her most the day then with me most nights, although for both of us he often gets up and goes to the couch. When we’re both home sleeping together he usually sleeps between us, sideways the little bedhog! Luckily its a king size bed so WE don’t disturb HIS sleep. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

January 27, 2011 at 10:39 pm
(22) Lisa says:

As I read the blog and posts, my Doberman Bella is soundly sleeping beside me on my bed and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

January 27, 2011 at 11:15 pm
(23) Shelby24019 says:

My dogs are my just my kids. People that are against dogs sleeping in the beds probably have never had children and don’t like dogs. We have had two little Silkies and a mixed longhaired Chihuahua for 8 yrs and they have always sleep with us. They sleep on top of the covers and each has it’s own place. My husband gets up before I do and when I wake up they are snuggled in against me on both sides.

I had surgery a few years ago and was in bed for two weeks. When I went back for my check up the doctor was amazed how well I had done. I told him I had three little four legged nurses taking care of me. He said that would do it every time.

January 27, 2011 at 11:35 pm
(24) Johnnyz says:

I had postage stamps made from a photo of my dachshund, sleeping under my comforter, with his head sticking out, and resting on my pillow. Gotta love Wally.

January 28, 2011 at 1:13 am
(25) Xenia says:

People have oral sex and they are not affraid about germs. My dogs and cats always slept in one bed with me and I am not going to change that. As of now when I got infected it was form people not form dogs. If dogs are kept clean and healthy the risk is minimal.

January 28, 2011 at 1:05 pm
(26) Laura says:

You’re much more likely to catch something from a human. In fact, I think living with a pet keeps your immune system strong.

January 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm
(27) Gracie says:

Screw the so called professional jounarls!!!They always publishing some eye-catching reports so to draw people’s attention and increase the incomes!!!

January 28, 2011 at 7:05 pm
(28) Hector Gonzalez says:

Well, my problem with allowing my dog to sleep with either my wife and I or the kids is more about the hair shedding and the odor. This is actually my families first time in owning a dog and truly has been a blessing. But there are certain things my wife and I cannot tolerate. In addition, there is always the potential of ticks or fleas. I like to think that we provide our dog with plenty of love and care. Sure there is always room for improvement but most of it is financially related. I like to add also that for those that allow there pets to do so is truly there business…

January 28, 2011 at 8:13 pm
(29) Jo-Ann says:

My 2 dogs are my kids and my babies, chihuahua dacshund mix, They wait for us to go to bed,sometime they stare at us when they want to go to bed,,,,,,,,They will always be in our bed,besides I think they think they are human,,,,,,they are very clean dogs,very loving dogs.

January 28, 2011 at 8:41 pm
(30) Letty says:

I ca’t imagine my life without my doggie Honey.She’s so obedient and behave really well.She loves to be on my bed close to me and my hubby.
That’s really true.There are filthier people than germs on my pet..!! Excuse me..!!

January 29, 2011 at 11:00 am
(31) Kimberly, FL says:

My boyfriend and I had a big discussion on not allowing my Jack Russell to sleep in his bed with us for two reasons. One, because he said he leaves a doggie smell and the cologne I use on him only last for the day. The second reason is because Eddie becomes aggressive sometimes when you move him when he’s sleeping in the bed. He also gets aggressive sometimes towards people he doesn’t know and people that are close to me. We can’t seem to agree on what to do…..I suggested having a sheet on top of the bed when he and I are there…he doesn’t want that. I have always had my dogs sleeping with me and being quite honest, he is my little snuggle bear and I can’t even bear the thought of not having him in my bed:( :(

January 30, 2011 at 11:29 pm
(32) Gail,SanDiego says:

Kimberly, Keep the one that’s important, THE DOG, he will always be there for you, BF’s come and go, like the show says, “me or the dog”.

March 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm
(33) root says:

what about husbands. do they come and go too? he gets aggresive to people in the bed? she uses cologne on the dog?
are you kidding me? any woman that can’t bear the thought of not having their dog should do all men a favor and be single with their dogs forever.

February 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm
(34) Kelly says:

The fact that he sleeps with you is not the issue here. You have a dog with behavior issues, and they need to be corrected. Not just for you, but for Eddie too. Keep him in the bed, but get some him some training.

February 2, 2011 at 2:50 pm
(35) Ivan says:

I agree with Kelly, the issue isn’t the dog in the bed, it’s his behaviour generally.

Until his behaviour is resolved vis a vis aggression, sleeping in the bed is a privilege.

January 31, 2011 at 1:32 pm
(36) Marg says:

I have 5 large breed dogs. All my dogs have been rescued by me over the years. All my dogs either sleep in my big bed or on top of the bed. I would not ever have it any other way. When I went through a major breakdown, yes, my babies were there with me all the way and they loved me for who I am. They licked my face when I cried, they cuddled me when I was down. I owe my dogs my life and they deserve my total love and loyalty because they have given me one thing in life and that is total love. My largest dog is 82kg and takes up one whole side of the bed while the others snuggle around my body. One of my babies lays his body around my head and neck at night on my pillows and will never leave my side. Dogs are so human if they are treated right and when I go out, yes, my family of 5 go with me everywhere I go. I have a very happy family of pups and I will love them forever.

February 1, 2011 at 2:26 pm
(37) jay says:

DOGS ARE GREAT COMFORT….ON AND OFF THE BEDS OR FURNITURE…..HUMANS CAN BE MORE FILTHY WITH GERMS…..AS LONG AS THE PETS ARE HEALTHY,LET THEM ENJOY THE BEDS,FURNITURE AND COVERS…IT TRULY IS A MATTER OF PERSONAL CHOICE ……DOGS ARE truly MAN’S BEST FRIENDS….

February 3, 2011 at 3:27 pm
(38) Tori says:

I’m so glad to see that I am not alone in thinking dogs belong in bed with their owners. I have a 2 year old mini goldendoodle and she has slept with me since she was 4 months old. I took a vacation last year without her and had nightmares every night. I couldn’t wait to get back to our nightly routine of cuddling. I sleep better with her by my side and so does she. She is groomed every 4 weeks, sees the vet monthly (she has Addison’s disease), wears boots outside and is extremely clean. I have no worries about contracting diseases or parasites from her.

February 3, 2011 at 11:19 pm
(39) Rick & Sheri in Abbottstown says:

Queen size bed for the two of us & one German Shepherd.
New Shepherd puppy has been added to the pack & an order for a King size bed has been placed. We are family.

February 4, 2011 at 11:27 am
(40) move over says:

There is nothing more comforting than to snuggle with my beagle under the blankets. We even bought a king sized bed for that reason. I let him sit on the back of my sofa and I rest my head on him everyday. WE both love the contact.
My dog is cleaner than the majority of humans. There are nastier diseases spread from human to human and therefore I limit which HUMANS can sit on my furniture! I’m scared my dog might get germs from them!

February 6, 2011 at 3:17 pm
(41) Mary says:

Of course my dog sleeps on my bed. My cat too! I make a 100% commitment to keep my pets 100% parasite free, both internally and externally. They also recieve every vaccination that is available to keep them in the best health possible. The news media goes off the deep end over this, for shock value, I guess.

February 6, 2011 at 8:01 pm
(42) PiperRose says:

I can’t imagine having my human sleep any place other than our bed. Sure, she snores and moves around a lot, but that is just the price you have to pay for good companionship! I repay her in many ways, but my favorite is letting her rub my belly! She goes bonkers for that! And hey, if it keeps her happy why not!

February 6, 2011 at 8:03 pm
(43) PiperRose says:

P.S. Southwest now allows small dogs to fly – free of charge – as long as they can fit under the seat. Sorry, Labs and Shepherds – But your day will come!

February 6, 2011 at 10:41 pm
(44) Ally says:

I have a 2 pound chihuahua and her vaccines are up to date. I believe as long as your dog has its vaccines there shall be no harm to us humans.

February 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm
(45) Andrea says:

Our poochon [poodle/bichon] has been sleeping in our bed since we brought him home @ 9 wks old… my husband started it!!! Even if I tell him to get down, I’ll still find him under the covers and sharing my pillow… especially in the winter. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

February 13, 2011 at 9:36 am
(46) Kimberly, FL says:

Thank you all for your support! I have made my decision and I’m staying at home with my dog in my bed now:) My little BF!

February 21, 2011 at 8:48 am
(47) Gloria Martin says:

I’ve read all of the wonderful pet owners who are responsible and really take care of their dogs and cats but sadly my situation is not such. I have been married for four years now to my husband who claims to be “an animal lover” but in my opinion he “likes animals” but truly doesn’t love them because when you really love and care for an animal you take them to the vet, take them for walks, and groom them properly just as you’d do for yourself.

My concern is that I have been very sick and I am constantly taking antibiotics for infections and my doctor is getting concerned because the last infection I got is normally associated with animals, mainly digs and cats that are not being properly cared for.

My husband allows our dog and cat to sleep in our bed, even after I showed him the letter my doctor wrote asking if our pets are up to date on all of their shots and telling him that there is a strong possibility that my infections may be due to exposure to an illness my pets are going through.

I have to change my sheets on my bed daily because there is always some type of discharge on them in the morning that wasn’t there when I go to bed at night, and our dog Precious, a pittie that we adopted from the ASPCA three years ago has a odor that does not go away even when we bathe her.

We also adopted our tabby cat Tiger from PetSmart and he has problems with vomiting and it is usually all over my bed. I am now considering moving my things into our spare room that we currently use as an office in an effort to make hime realize that my health and wellness is important and until he takes his pets for a vet visit I will be sleeping in the office.

I suffer from sleep apnea and have to wear the CPAP machine to sleep at night but I still have not been able to get the sleep I need because I am worried about catching something that there won’t be a cure from.

February 26, 2011 at 4:02 am
(48) lyn says:

I’m so sorry about your plight and can understand your frustration! My boyfriend tends to “give in” to allowing his dog to share the bed because he feels sorry for him… however unfortunately he’s one of those people who want the fun but not the responsibility that comes with owning a dog (being vigilant about hygiene and health).

I didn’t have any issues sleeping with my boyfriend’s cat but when he both introduced a dog AND moved out into the boonies we began having parasite problems. I gave it the old college try, but I’m not willing to scratch until I bleed anymore while sharing his bed (staying at my own place now)… unfortunately my bf thinks this is no biggie and that living with parasites in a rural area is normal and acceptable. I keep nagging him to take the dog to the vet because the dog is frequently itching and scratching but unfortunately the boyfriend isn’t willing to see that there is a problem. The boyfriend is also not the most hygenic of people (hasn’t cleaned his furniture in 8 years).

February 24, 2011 at 8:43 pm
(49) Shawn says:

Everyone who let’s their animal sleep in their bed is disgusting. You diserve whatever sickness your pet brings into bed with them. Alot of you posted that humans pose more threat for disease. It’s humans like you who you disregard all laws of hygiene by letting your piss/dirt/feces covered animals sleep with you who are the ones spreading all the disease around. You should have more respect for yourself than that.

April 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm
(50) Diane says:

I couldn’t agree more Shawn….people who equate dogs/cats to their children are just plain strange…they aren’t even close and most of them are childless and that’s why they do that. I like dogs. But I believe they should be treated as such. Feed them, play with them, pet them, but I do NOT want them in my bed. There’s plenty of other comfortable places for them to sleep.. My fiance has let his yorkie sleep with him for 4 years but I refuse to let him sleep by me..I push him off the bed whenever I can. He’s soooo cute, but extremely annoying. There’s nothing weirder than some 47 year old guy nuzzling and talking baby talk to a friggin’ dog!!! PUH-LEEEZE..I guess I don’t get it cause I actually have kids so animals being treated like children is borderline insane to me and sleeping with them is just gross…not to mention I can’t get any sleep.

September 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm
(51) peaved english lady again says:

Diane

do you seriously believe that all people who have kids think the same way about dogs as you? That is downright small minded and stupid!
I have 2 kids AND a dog and I don’t agree with you and you’ll find many many more like me.

Furthermore i have to question the motives of someone who shows not a shred of compassion to a small defenseless little dog who has slept in the same place for 4 years next to his master, somone who thinks its ok to push him off the bed? maybe someone should push you out the bed when you’re asleep – see how u like it??

I would also say that there are many weirder and indeed illegal and sinister things a 47 year old man could do other than talking baby talk to his dog! It shows he is kind and caring and probably should find himself a new fiancee!!

September 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm
(52) peaved english person says:

Shawn – first of all you need to learn how to spell, second what ‘laws’ are there relating to hygiene and dogs? third no one deserves (note correct spelling) to be ill.

May I remind you that the most deadly human diseases (eg h1n1 flu) are ONLY spread by poor HUMAN hygiene and kill MILLIONS. I never heard of millions of people killed off by a dog spreading germs!

Finally it is possible to express an opinion without using foul language and insulting those who have a different one to yours.

I know this post was ages ago but it made me so annoyed I had to reply.

September 27, 2011 at 6:47 pm
(53) Reginald says:

You white people should let your dog sleep with you , because keep in mind they are you guye closest relatives.

October 31, 2011 at 2:29 am
(54) Helena says:

You must be really nice person. NOT!

January 20, 2012 at 8:42 pm
(55) No1special says:

I have children AND a golden retriever who thinks she’s one of the kids, lol!

We love her as family, she is immaculately cared for and even has private health insurance. She sleeps inside at night and has free run of the house with ONE exception: No sleeping on our beds!

Couches, go for it!

The reason we do this is personal preference and I am fine with those who sleep with their dogs and agree the health risks are minimal.

Me and hubby get a better night sleep, the kids are respected and not woken up to play but our main reason for this stance is this:

As human like as our golden is, she is a dog, and I would feel that I disrespected her if we didn’t attempt to understand how dogs instinctively think and behave. They have packs, a pack leader, and an etiquette of respectful submission and other gestures as their natural means of communication. While she has learned our human customs, out of respect to us, we must reciprocate by appreciating hers.

She is by nature a chook and would never challenge us but I know that she is comforted by a few boundaries and that she feels she can show us respect in her own way by keeping the few rules that we lay down for her.

She is happy to wait while we go through doors first, sleep on the couch, not bark at us for food etc. and in return we give her all the other freedoms and protect her unconditionally in return.

I would risk my life if I needed to save her – and she knows it!!

People, it’s great you co sleep, packs sleep in piles together for warmth so I have nothing against this but PLEASE read up on dogs and their natural behaviours and stop humanizing them to the point that there is miscommunication!

January 20, 2012 at 8:44 pm
(56) No1special says:

Google small dog syndrome, for example, and go from there! The jack russel who gets aggressive when sleeping is disturbed (a few posts back) believes that he is pack leader!! That is dangerous behavior in a shepherd or lab but people think it’s cute in a smaller dogs. This behavioral issue is the result of the human behavior of the owner – sorry- who probably had a human interpretation of what her dog was telling her.

Her dog can still sleep in the bed with her if she understands that she needs to learn dog language and tell her dog in a way it can understand that it is not pack leader.

My golden would find us telling her that she was pack leader (even by accident) stressful! It’s a big responsibility and pack leaders have to be willing to die defending the pack .. she would struggle with this even with her own kind so she likes having 3 comforting rules :)

I do not believe in hitting or yelling at animals. In this way they truly are like children; discipline and boundaries. If she barks at us for human food she doesn’t get any. Guess what? My dog eats our food and happily waits for us to offer it :)

If she rushes inside before the kids she is outside for a few minutes longer. Guess what? She happily sits and waits for us all to go inside then trotts in happily after us.
If our dog jumps on the bed we immediately command her to get off. Guess what? She doesn’t even jump on the beds when we’re not there to tell her off.

I get soo much out of knowing how dogs say I love you so when she sits with her back to me or looks away and breaks eye contact I feel truly touched that she took the trouble to compliment me in her language rather than superimposing what I think she meant (guilty look, pissed off at me, etc.) No – I understand that that is a dogs way of portraying ultimate respect!

January 20, 2012 at 8:46 pm
(57) No1special says:

Humanizing dogs too much does them a disservice. Respect them and treat them as equals – but taking the time to appreciate how different they are from us rather than only concentrating on how much we have in common makes for a stronger bond IMHO.

Thanks for reading!

January 26, 2012 at 6:57 am
(58) RoastPuppy says:

Everyone knows that people who sleep with dogs also engage in some sort of abnormal act with them. If you don’t believe me, just check some of the teen sites such as “Is It Normal?” and read about what all the kids are doing with their dogs. And keep in mind, the kids didn’t invent this, they learned it from their parents. It is such a common occurrence that in some South American countries, there are standing jokes about older women and their small “lap” dogs.

February 24, 2012 at 1:00 am
(59) Richard says:

We have a minature Daschund and a Yorkie-Poo and they have both slept with use since they were puppies. Our Daschund loves to sleep under the covers usually on her back, in my arm pit with he head on my arm and the Yorkie sleeps on my wife’s pillow just above her head. We are so used to it that when they are not in bed with us we miss them terribly. They have never been a problem with the exception when we want intimacy and then its is a battle because they do not want to get down. I love having our Daschund snuggle up next to me at night and sleep like a baby next to me and we are both experiencing something that neither of us experienced in our childhood. There is nothing wrong with dogs sleeping in bed with you if you don’t mind it and willing to share your bed with them. Iy can be a very loving and touching experince.

March 9, 2012 at 12:06 pm
(60) T4Tex says:

We have a small poodle mix around 12 pounds, she has all her shots and vaccinations she loves sleeping with us, we have tried different methods to keep her off the bed but she always returns. My wife and I are content, just worry that we might crush her, she is 18 months old . I do like the warmth of her body and she does not take up to much space.

March 12, 2012 at 6:17 pm
(61) gloria kojis says:

My cat sleeps on me every night. If I’m on my back she is on my stomach. She will sleep on my side, back, neck,or in my arms. I have no idea if this normal or not. She is three years old

September 15, 2012 at 2:42 am
(62) jt says:

have u noticed the woman are the ones that like to cuddle the dogs?weird!! ts been a major problem in my marriage fro 15 yrs ,my wife hasnt held me in 15 yrs but cuddles the dogs everynite. we hv 4 in bed surrounding her. ive talked to her many times about wanting to spoon or cuddle but she wont hear of it. sad for mr.wht to do?

October 30, 2012 at 10:07 am
(63) Irma Spinola says:

Our dog has got his own bed at night in the kitchen but at night he sneeks of to sleep on the couch at night and all the furniture is full of hair and I do not know how to stop him> How can I stop him from sleeping on the furniture?
And he only does that if nobody is around

December 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm
(64) Patricia says:

I do let my dog (shih tzu) on the sofa and bed but only as a treat and she has her own bed and crate which she is very content to sleep in during the night. I often have her in bed with me for an hour while I am watching t.v/reading before bed and then we have a snuggle in the morning when she wakes up at 7am and I want an extra hour in bed. As many others have said I don’t think it is a problem as long as your dog is kept up to date with routine preventative health treatment, humans spread just as many if not more germs.

February 9, 2013 at 5:33 pm
(65) David Swank says:

I have also noticed that when you allow your pets to bunk with you. You’ll also have a much more intimate relationship with them.

March 6, 2013 at 11:26 am
(66) FNYC says:

My husband and I adopted a lab mix 4 months ago…he is now 6 months old. I never understood why and how people treated their animals as if they were a family member, but I totally get it now that he is a part of us. I was a bit hesitant to allow him on our bed, but let him be when he decides to jump up as we watch a movie, etc. I buy him the best, organic food there is, the healthiest treats and take him to the vet as needed. It is expensive, but so well worth it. When my husband is working late and our preschooler is at grandma’s house, my pup is always there to keep me company. I do not have a crate or kennel for him as I feel guilty for “locking him up” but i do have a gated area where he can sleep and walk around. I don’t have a problem with a crate, but i rather him have open space. We just recently started leaving him alone to roam our place while we’re at work…and no damage has been done. You can’t really judge someone else until you are in that same situation. Never did I think I would love and care for a pet as much as I do one of my immediate family members. I love my dog and grateful to have him in my life!

March 19, 2013 at 6:33 pm
(67) Arron Deballster says:

I would not sleep with any animal. I also would not marry or date anyone that did. I find it rather filthy. If the humans you sleep with are dirtier than your animals, then you my dear are a skank ho!

April 1, 2013 at 4:32 pm
(68) Grieving fur mom says:

I just put my 13yo dog down. Ruptured spleen, likely cancer…difficult but necessary choice. And I will miss that mutt when I go to bed tonight. (In fact, I’ll miss everything about him for quite some time to come.) He was a GREAT dog, who only rarely hogged the pillows. RIP, my friend. Thanks for the love.

April 10, 2013 at 10:17 am
(69) Joanne says:

I have had 28 dogs and never have I slept with them, allowed them on furniture, nor will I ever permit this to occur.
To do this you lower yourself and are no long their pack leader.
You have two choices: either you control your dog or the dog controls you.

By sleeping with the dog or by allowing them on furniture, your bed, out the door first, jumping on your, barking etc. you create an unbalanced pet.

All my canines have been well-trained, well-behaved therapy, search and rescue and protection dogs. I love them dearly but they do not sleep in my bed or my children’s beds.
Our bedrooms are reserved for human relationships only as they need to be healthy and balanced.

January 6, 2014 at 3:04 pm
(70) Sara says:

Think about when your dog goes outside to pee & poop. While your dog is peeing, a little pee splashes on their hind leg and become dried pee on fur which is then eventually rubbed on your sofa, bed and possibly pillows! That’s disgusting! Also, after a dog pees have you ever noticed they sometimes accidentally step in it while walking away? Now imagine snuggling your face onto said pillow or sofa as you relax. Um, ew. Unless you’re giving your dog/s a full body wipe down after coming in from outside, you have no idea what they’re bringing in.

Sleeping with your dogs and/or allowing them on the sofa is just plain filthy if you ask me. I love my dog but he’s been trained since he was a puppy that his spot is the big comfy dog bed next to the sofa and bed. (He has two comfy beds.) He’s 14 now and has never tried to get on the sofa or bed, he respects our boundaries but is the most spoiled dog ever!

What about when it’s time for your and your significant other to be intimate!? I would not want my naked body rubbing on sheets a dog once laid on.