1. Home

shih tzu dog breed

The Shih Tzu is a feisty but sweet little lap dog with an assertive personality. Its coat is typically long and luxurious, but can also be trimmed short. The Shih Tzu is of Asian descent, where it was once known to be a household pet to the Ming Dynasty. This noble history probably contributes to its bold, confident attitude. The breed is sometimes called the "chrysanthemum dog" because of the hair growth pattern on its face.

I think Shih Tzus look like adorable little gremlins - maybe that's why one of the most common names for them is Gizmo! Are you a Shih Tzu enthusiast? Tell us why you love the breed.

Photo © Jerry Vandiver

About the Photo: This is a picture of our Shih Tzu Noel looking over a seat in our RV. Loves people and always wants to know what is going on. She was born on Christmas Eve ... 12 years ago. Her registered name is "Jerry and Karen's first Noel."

Comments

December 23, 2010 at 11:49 am
(1) Mike says:

Interesting! I hope that everyone has a great weekend and has a Merry Christmas!

December 23, 2010 at 1:11 pm
(2) Angela says:

I have 2 Shih Tzu the 15 year old has slowed down quite a bit now but is still a very good companion. It didn’t take a lot to potty train her she still lets me know when she needs to go out side (at her age now is very frequent). My 3 year old although she is sweet if I had her first I would only have one dog :) (this is what I hear some parents say). No problem with potty training but boy does she have a mind of her own very independent doesn’t care to be around me all the time like my old girl but they both are a lot of fun.

December 23, 2010 at 8:55 pm
(3) Steve Easley says:

Have had 4 Shih-Tzu’s and each has or had a personality of their own.
“Sushi” saddly crossed the Rainbow Bridge at 14-years and we miss her so.
We have three still at home, and enjoy every moment with these lovable companions with the expressive eyes!
Merry Christmas everyone, love your babies, and have a wonderful New Year!

December 25, 2010 at 2:42 am
(4) Anne says:

My Shih-Tzu is 12 years old now. He’s the most loyal and intelligent companion I’ve ever had. He’s seen me through some very rough times, especially when I was sick for a couple of years. He never left my side. Now that he is beginning to go blind and is crippled with arthritis, I hope I am as good a friend to him as he was to me. God bless his furry little soul.
He knows that Christmas stockings mean something special for him and he is very excited tonight. :)

December 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm
(5) fahmi says:

after reading all your articles I am really proud. you are my inspiration.

December 26, 2010 at 9:23 pm
(6) RH says:

Amy, n Cherie trotted into my life, licked away my worries; they kissed me n loved me.
me.
I feel lucky !!

February 21, 2013 at 9:00 pm
(7) marion says:

My Smokey will be 3 on 9/11/13. He is a gray blend and looks like a puff of smoke…how he got his name. He is very independent and very protective of me and follows me around all the time. I take him with me everywhere. He isn’t a very friendly little dog and cann’t be trusted not to bite, though he is friendly to other dogs. I have a Yorkie too and they had beautiful Shorky pups.