1. Home

Some dogs are braver than others, but even a highly confident dog may be afraid of something. Your dog does not necessarily have to be a generally timid and fearful dog to develop a specific phobia. The fireworks this past weekend may have revealed to you that your dog has a noise phobia, but there are a number of other common sources of fear in dogs.

Seeing our canine companions tremble in fear is tough. What's a loving owner to do? Fortunately, Amy Bender, our very own dog training expert is here to offer valuable advice to dog owners. First of all, learn how to identify the signs of fear in your dog. The sooner you see that your dog is afraid, the sooner you can address it. Next, develop and understanding of the causes of fear in dogs. This can help you get to the heart of your dog's fear (or fears).

If you are able to catch your dog exhibiting mild fearful behavior, you will have a better chance of resolving it. However, even dogs with extreme fear can be helped. In the latter case, it is often best to call in an expert. Start with your veterinarian, who can rule out health problems that may have caused or contributed to your dog's fear. Next, consider consulting an animal behaviorist or professional dog trainer. Often, desensitization therapies and behavior modification can help your dog get over his fears. Depending on severity, medication may be recommended in conjunction. Above all, never give up hope!

Is your dog afraid of something? Vote in the poll and tell us more about your experiences.

Comments

July 7, 2010 at 8:03 am
(1) Sonia says:

My three year old dog, Molly, is afraid of two things. She is terrified of thunder storms. She trembles and pants heavily. She is also afraid of the dark. She will not go outside at night.

July 7, 2010 at 9:06 am
(2) Cyndy says:

My lab/pit mix Baxter is afraid of a particular large conch shell we have. When the open end is viewable he will bark and obsess over it. Because of the coloring I believe it appears to be bearing teeth to him. The other conch shells do not bother him at all.

July 7, 2010 at 2:52 pm
(3) Amy Bender says:

One of my dogs is terrified out of his mind of being in his crate. The other was extremely fearful of pretty much everything when we first brought her home. We’ve been successful in getting rid a lot of her phobias, but she still has some lingering fears when it comes to loud noises and some men.

July 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm
(4) dog day care newport says:

My dog is afraid by the noise of the vacuum cleaner, each day he just run in the kitchen when he hears it. I had a second dog with him and, after some time, he was scared too. I don’t know if my first dog gave him his phobia or maybe I have a scary vacuum cleaner! :]

July 7, 2010 at 7:03 pm
(5) Shoe says:

My dog is afraid of thunder storms. I tried rubbing her down with dryer sheets to prevent static electricity in her hair, but she’s still afraid.

July 8, 2010 at 4:43 am
(6) Debi Bel says:

My dog(s) are afraid of the mop-yes, the mop that I use to clean the kitchen floor. They have always been afraid of the mop, and have never, ever been teased or threatened with a mop or any other pole like cleaning tool. I have 6 dogs, all rescues and of the 6, 3 are terrified of the mop. The others? 2 like to pounce on the mop and attack it; one ignores and steps around it.

July 8, 2010 at 8:33 am
(7) Marilyn says:

Our German Shepherd mix is afraid of motorcyles and loud pick-up trucks. Our neighbor has both. Abby would not go outside for fear that one of them would come out of the “opening” garage door. When we would go out with her to assure her that all was well, she would take off running if the door started opening. When inside, she barks continuously when she hears them or any other. We have exposed her to them up close when not running and she will walk up to them. However, she still continues to show her fear on an everyday basis.

July 8, 2010 at 8:48 am
(8) Maggie says:

My dog is afraid of large trucks — if one drives by us when we’re walking on the sidewalk, he tries to run away. He is also afraid of water, will do anything to avoid a puddle and refuses to go outside in any rainstorm. My sister’s dog is deathly afraid of the heating/cooling vents in their house.

July 8, 2010 at 9:21 am
(9) Cyndy says:

I posted above but thought about some other things that have happened over the years. My chow/lab mix was wary of the woodstove insert in the fireplace. We never used it and no one ever bang on it or anything like that either. But, when Gus walked by it he would keep his eye on it and even look back at it as if he was expecting it to do something. Kind of spooky!

July 8, 2010 at 9:24 am
(10) Kara says:

In addition to loud noises (or even just “scary” noises like the wind), Chiqui is afraid of sprinklers. She used to be afraid of a lot of different things, but has improved tremendously.

July 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm
(11) Zippy says:

Our German Shepard Dog is afraid of an open freezer door on the refrigerator. Though normally feerless, the opening of the freezer door sends her out of the room and looking for shelter, ie. the shower, her kennel.

July 8, 2010 at 1:34 pm
(12) Theresa says:

my pit mix is afraid of storms, he hides under the bed and is really afraid of fireworks .

July 8, 2010 at 4:12 pm
(13) JT says:

My border collie cross is afraid of quite a few things. The biggest was white vinyl floors, still afraid of those. She is also afraid of white tile floors. I think it is a fear of slipping. To overcome some of her fears, I got involved in Agility with her and a lot of her fears disappeared except for white flooring and thunderstorms.

July 8, 2010 at 6:19 pm
(14) CAS says:

We got our Lab from the pound, and you get a pretty good picture of his previous life from the things that bother him: men, motorcycles, diesel engines, boats on trailers… He didn’t understand staircases when we first got him, and he was very cautious around strangers… After a year and a half, he’s grown much more confident, but he’s still careful around new people (especially men) so they have to ignore him till he comes to check them out. He usually runs toward loud noises (barking) like fireworks instead of running away! And if I’m concerned about something, he gets concerned too, so I have to remain calm unless it’s real trouble!

July 9, 2010 at 4:44 am
(15) Dan says:

JT – that’s so weird about the slick floors. I ALSO used to have a BC mix, and she was also terrified of slick floors. Luckily that was the same year that the Dog Whisperer started on TV, and one of the first episodes was about a Great Dane afraid of linoleum. In general, I think that Cesar Milan is awful to dogs (the equivalent of the old west, where they would tie a frisky horse to a pole until they broke its spirit). But this was a good episode, and it totally worked for Gracie. We just stood up straight and marched very quickly and forcefully across the floor. The only time it would fail is if we (or someone else) “asked” her to come across the floor. Classic example – at the vet’s office: if the vet tech just took her and quickly took her back to the exam rooms, no problem. If they looked at her sweetly and tried to coax her to come along, she’d start skittering backwards and flattening herself out (we call that the 500-lb dog trick).

July 9, 2010 at 11:24 am
(16) jt says:

Dan, I have known quite a few BC owners and a lot of their dogs have different phobias but the biggest is the slippery floor. My dog is the same as yours if you try calling her she won’t walk across them but if you ignore her, here she comes really cautious but still comes. Now that she is older and having depth perception issues, she also has a problem with stairs, she will bark (even in the middle of the night) so that I can stand at the top of the stairs so she can come up them. She is getting better, I can now call her from the bedroom at night and she will come up the stairs by herself.

July 9, 2010 at 11:50 pm
(17) Penny says:

We have 4 Shih-Tzus and all 4 are afraid of thunder. It has become so bad that even if it’s just a cloudy day or raining, the 2 oldest, 7 yrs. & 6yrs. walk around with their tails down, just waiting for the loud clap of thunder. When it finally happens, they shake and pant constantly. The youngest who is almost 6 yrs, hides under the sofa. The only girl in the group used to search out a dark area to hide, now she likes to sit by us. Wouldn’t you know we live in the lightening capital of the U.S….I just got a tranquilizer for the oldest. Hope it helps him.

October 3, 2010 at 12:27 am
(18) JF says:

My city has transformers installed under the sidewalk and my dog is affraid when we walk over them. Even several meters from the opening. Normally, he’s very courageous. I dont know if he smells something, hears something or feels the static energy coming out of the sidewalk.

October 11, 2010 at 4:58 am
(19) Kola says:

Hi, I was hoping you could help. We have a 5 year old Labrador X. We have recently done some home inprovements and moved the hot water system outside. Now each time we turn the water on our dog Kola runs away and hides and we have to really call her to get her to come back.Do you have any tips to stop her doing this. Thanks

November 4, 2010 at 9:30 pm
(20) nina says:

My dog Bella has developed a phobia of our refrigerator. We bought it one year ago and several months ago it began making a clicking noise. Whirlpool claims this is “normal” noise. Bella is so freaked out by the refrigerator she does not sleep at night and paces and whimpers and stares at it…it is exhausting for Bella and for us….can you help?

December 13, 2010 at 8:07 am
(21) Lisa Mayer says:

My German Pincher is very afraid of the heating system in our house. As soon as we put the heat on he starts to tremble and hide. Once he worked into a seizure like state in which his eye bulged out and he lost control of one side of his body. We live in FL and rarely need head but once and a while it is needed so what can we do to help him?

December 14, 2010 at 8:51 pm
(22) Rescue 31 says:

We have a 5 year old male Laborador Retriever. He is afraid of walking across a slate tile floor. He has always been an outside dog since we rescued him but we are trying to socialize him to the house. His fear of the tile floor is making it a bit difficult. We have been using positive reinforcement such as treats and praise to try to get him over it. It doesn’t seem like it is working though.

Any ideas?

March 2, 2011 at 7:41 pm
(23) Bonni says:

Our Lab/bird dog mix, we think was abused. She gets freaked out if you get near her tail, and has yelped and tried to bite if we actually touched it. (she is a very docile dog, old and sweet. She is afraid of going thru any doors, and will not bark, ever. We are trying to teach her to speak, it may be a long road. She has serious separation anxiety and has been known to claw thru my wall (by the door I exited thru) if not kenneled. She is always kenneled now even if we leave for a short time. She must be a worrier, because she needs to be told, often, to stop pacing!!

March 28, 2011 at 1:57 pm
(24) Brittany says:

My dog is afraid of, get this, fart noises. I think it started when we would blow on her tummy and then if we ever made a fake fart noise she would sniff her butt, so we thought it was funny and our whole family started doing it. Eventually, she started running away anytime someone made the noise. Maybe she’s just ashamed. Ha.

April 15, 2011 at 9:40 pm
(25) Shannon says:

I have a Australian Shepard Blue lacy cross. She is about one year old, but she has a phobia of baths. We got her from a friend, lived out in the country, but I thought she’d grow out of it. She isn’t afraid of the bathroom but as soon as we put her in the bath, she start trembling and she tries to throw up. As soon as she gets out though, she’s fine. . It isn’t too bad if I sit in there with her, but I don’t know how to help her.. Any Ideas?

May 22, 2011 at 5:41 pm
(26) Hana says:

My dog gets so scared when you blow at her! She’s extremely scared of the metal food bowl because of the sounds it makes when she eats from it (we have to use a paper plate) she’s very afraid of black dogs. btdubs it’s a shihtzu-bichon.

June 27, 2011 at 4:21 pm
(27) ELVA GONZALEZ says:

ever since he got sick drinking and eating he is totally afraid to eat or drink. I took him to the vet and his xrays and blood results came out ok. He barely eats and drinks water. He is soo skinny its scary

March 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm
(28) marshell says:

my dog is scared of sidewalks well when we go to this sidewalk he whines shivers and we have to walk in the street. He is fine in the street and even the grass. Do you know Why this is we got him 3 weeks ago?

May 1, 2012 at 12:04 pm
(29) sophie says:

Hey we have a border collie and golden retriever mix, we think she was abused as a puppy because she is very skiddish and has separation anxiety. She has these ocd behaviors where she has to back up from the water bowl and go underneath our kitchen table and lately she has a hard time crossing from the kitchen into the living room which is tile to hardwood floor. Its like an invisible line she wont cross we have to call her and tell her to cross over she starts to go then backs up and sits there like she needs help. It doesnt happen all the time but recently she has been doing it a lot any ideas of what to do or why it happens?

May 6, 2012 at 11:54 am
(30) Karen says:

My daughter’s three-year-old sheltie/mix dog refuses to walk on grass. When she is let out to do her business, she will only go on hard surfaces- deck, patio, pavers. If you force or bribe her to walk in the grass, she walks as if it hurts her feet and hurries to get back on a solid surface. This seems to be a behavior that developed when she was about a year old.

I’ve seen lots of phobias in dogs, but never a fear of grass! What could possibly cause this?

June 12, 2012 at 9:38 am
(31) Carol says:

My dog has a phobia of eating his food. This has developed over a few months’ time. He used to eat very well, but being a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, he has always been timid about our walking near him as he eats, so we used to put him in a bedroom, and shut the door. When he was finished, he would bark to come out. His food dish was always empty. I have tried using different containers to put his food in, but he backs away immediately with any container. I have been putting his food on a paper towel on a towel. This is the only way that I have found that he will eat at all. He goes days at a time without eating…..only his reward treats for going outside to void or have BM. Even with putting his food on this towel, he will “tip toe” up to it, glance over it/smell it, and immediately backs away. He usually will eat by the fourth day, and we praise him when he eats. I made the mistake of hand feeding him for several weeks when this first started, and he ate all of his food this way. Then, when I stopped hand feeding him, this is when his decline of eating and phobia of his food started. My vet has run all of the tests, and says that this problem is “between Sidney’s ears.” The vet prescribed Mirtazapine 4 mg daily. He said that this will increase his appetite. HELP!

September 5, 2012 at 6:17 pm
(32) Denise says:

I have a Yorkshire Terrier. He is very small, just under 5 lbs and he has never eaten out of a dish. Ever since I got him at 12 weeks old 5 years ago, he has been afraid of dishes, food bowls or anything else. I have to put his food directly on the floor. He hardly drinks at all because water has to be in a bowl. I get down with him often and dip my finger in the water and touch his mouth and then he will drink for a little while. I don’t understand it and wish I could help him. When I try to get him to go over to the bowl or pick him up and put him down by the bowl of food he scrambles to get away, even when his favorite food is in there. I have even tried leaving the food in the bowl and not putting any on the floor but he will starve if I do that! What can I do!?

November 10, 2012 at 1:15 am
(33) Pickle-O says:

My Dog has a phobia of having his picture taken, even if you look at him while holding any object covering one eye, even a mini pumpkin, or a rock, he cowers in fear in scurries away.

November 23, 2012 at 9:49 pm
(34) Cheryl says:

Dear Denise :

My Pomeranian never eat out of her own bowl as well, and we found out that she is even more so, afraid of any shinny surface ie. stainless steel bowls.

Perhaps you can start by feeding your dog with a tray… something flat and big enough to let him think it’s not a container? and gradually replaced with smaller plates.

As for drinking, perhaps drinking bottle (those that can be attached to a pole / cage ) helps?

November 23, 2012 at 9:54 pm
(35) Cheryl says:

Dear Denise, my pomeranian only eat from her own bowl and we found out that she is scared of any shiny surface ie stainless steel bowls etc.. Perhaps you can start by feeding him on a tray – something flat and big enough to give him the impression its a “floor” and only later replaced by smaller dishes. As for drinking, maybe drinking bottles ( those you can attach to a cage / pole ) helps?

January 11, 2013 at 3:11 pm
(36) deborah rose says:

i have a jack russell staffy cross. he is a rescue dog i have had me for about a year. the last two months he wont go for walks. when i say we are going out he is all up for it i put the lead on and he cant wait to get out the door. he pulls on the lead and he really looks keen for the walk, we go about 200yards then he stops and turns round and if i stop he really pulls on the lead to get home, i have tryed to wait and get him to relax and then try again but this has not worked. i have tryed treats as well. help!

January 30, 2013 at 1:51 pm
(37) Jess says:

My jack russel terrier is afraid of me cleaning the couch when she is on with a damp cloth. She snapped at my dad when he was cleaning the couch today . When I rub the couch she jumps up or looks away and the hair stands up on her back. Why is this happening?

January 31, 2013 at 10:39 pm
(38) Pia says:

I have a cockalier and he is 3 years old. 9/2012 labor day weekend the shaking started. I took him to my vet and she advised we keep track of the episodes, how often and how long. He a few minor 15/20 minutes and I’ve been able to snap him out of it with a walk.

January 2013 has been worse and longer episodes. The heater and a/c have been off for months and I’ve had to turn each of them on randomly on this month and as soon as he hears it kick on, he starts shaking, panting heavily and his nose goes from cold/ wet to warm and dry. He also licks his mouth. We’ve done blood work and nothing is abnormal. She has currently prescribed him Valium to which we just tried tonight (1/2 pill) and its not helping…

February 11, 2013 at 4:35 pm
(39) Diana Benson says:

My dog is doing this right now. No changes, loud sounds, just wakes up like this. Will hide from us, tail between her legs, cower in a corner somewhere, shivers. No stranger was here, no loud sounds, can’t figure it out. She does this from time to time, sometimes lasts hours to days.

February 23, 2013 at 11:19 am
(40) Asa says:

My dog is afraid of fireworks (the only loud noise she fears). Since her breed is a social breed she doesn’t like it when she is not included in the group, therefore she hates being left alone. Other: She is afraid of cats ever since she was just a puppy. It was during winter and at that time it was quite dark. Out of nowhere a cat jumped out from the bushes and was going to attack her but thankfully I managed to get her out of harms way and scare the cat away but since that was her first encounter with cats, she has developed a phobia for them. Every time I try to show her not all cats are bad, it just gets worse. Furthermore, she seems to dislike the darkness as well. Sounds she hears throughout daylight time make her insecure during night time and she doesn’t want to go alone outside to pee before bedtime. It is very troublesome.

February 27, 2013 at 10:49 pm
(41) esperanza says:

Whenever some one starts cooking in the kitchen my dog begins to shake and jerk and follows me everywhere even the bathroom (the weird thing is she hates the bathroom!) and i think it may have something to do with the smoke alarm going off too because it goes off a couple times when we cook, and thats when she is shaking the most, i feel really bad and i wish i knew how to fix it.

April 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm
(42) lyann says:

I have a 3 year old chihuahua named Bella. She has,always been in the house, only going out for walks or to relieve herself. For the lasy two day she refuses to go into the kitchen or restroom of the house. I asdumed it was something to do with the vinyl flooring but she isnt scared to go into the washroom which is also vinyl. She has never had tthis problem before. I have even tried carrying her through these rooms and she trembles violently and looks around frantically like she expects something to jump out and get her. She is with either me or my dad 24/7 so i know nothing has happened or frightened her in these rooms or we would be aware. I am very concerned. Can you give me any advice please? Thank you.

April 6, 2013 at 4:49 pm
(43) clm86 says:

My dog is afraid of very strange things (and never afraid of things she should be scared of!!). She’s afraid of “unexpected’ noises – not necessarily loud noises. For example, she’s afraid of bubble wrap popping, pulling plastic wrap off the roll, and flip flops hitting the floor. She’s also deathly afraid of umbrellas and bath water. Normal water is okay – ponds and streams – but the water coming out of the faucet = battery acid. She used to be afraid of enclosed spaces (hallways, the bathroom, in between cars) but I think that was from previous abuse by her first owner, and she no longer has a problem with close spaces. She also loves things she should be afraid of – like cars, lawnmowers, and horses – she once tried to make friends with a horse on my boyfriend’s farm!!

April 12, 2013 at 12:25 pm
(44) ktwaddo says:

one of my dogs is scared of the hover, loud noises and when my dad comes in from work.

The other one is scared of driving in the car and getting muddy!!
he also hates being alone.

April 30, 2013 at 12:53 am
(45) robyn says:

My basset hound is petrified of boots. In particular leather boots. He will not sleep because he is so afraid. I have had him since he was a puppy and has never been abused but has a myriad of ridiculous fears… Most particularly boots (he sits on my chest and stares at the door all night long) but also this inflatible dinosaur thing and any robotic toys. He doesnt like brooms or vaccuums but he doesntfreak about them. He is so scared right now between my new boots and the inflatible dinosaur that he is jumping at every sound the wind makes.

May 2, 2013 at 2:24 am
(46) Tami Pruett says:

My 9 month old mal-shi, Sheldon, is afraid of walking on the sidewalk next to the streets. Every time he sees or hear a vehicle, he stops full force and reverses. I try to keep him distracted.. But it’s becoming impossible to keep doing that. I hate seeing him afraid, even though he thinks he is such a big ,brave dog…. He acts so afraid when he gets near it. He’s also afraid of people in general.. He does a low growl under his breath or bark.. But as soon as the person leaves, he wants to run after them. He’s not a fierce dog, he just wants others to think he is. But I just don’t think it would be wise to let him continue with this bahavior. What should I should I do?

June 15, 2013 at 11:15 am
(47) Mary Keller says:

I have a 6 month old golden retriever named Duke. He wasn’t at first, but as we have purchased larger eating dishes for him he is afraid of them. He whines and barks and pushes it with his nose. At first we thought it was his reflection in the stainless steel, but we got a plastic one for him and he is doing the same thing. I have been trying his food in a flat tray and he will eat it but his food goes all over. I’m not sure what to try,. I hope someone else has had this experience and knows of a solution.

June 16, 2013 at 10:39 pm
(48) Laura says:

My Bichon is afraid of the clicking refrigerator and she used to be afraid of the sound of a baseball hitting a bat. Both my dogs will look at a particular spot near the ceiling and bark and bark. The cats also stare at that spot but there is nothing there, not even electrical in the wall. Both dogs are terrified of thunder and firecrackers.

June 19, 2013 at 2:53 pm
(49) Shea says:

We have two dogs. My rat terrier Clover is afraid of the bang when a gun goes off whether its a rifle or just a nail gun and she’s afraid of the high pitch noise at our house when the power goes out. She starts quivering and hides underneath either me or my dad (who doesn’t even like her). Our other dog is a German Shepard/Husky mix and she is afraid of the dark and being left behind. We have her outside most of the time but when it starts getting dark she starts freaking out. We adopted her from the humane society when she was about two now she’s three, so we think the whole being left behind thing is from something maybe traumatic that happened to her.

July 25, 2013 at 9:22 am
(50) Zach says:

My dog is scared of balloons.

July 25, 2013 at 8:45 pm
(51) Rhonda says:

My dog is afraid of the dark. Not sure why. When potty breaks come & it’s dark, she doesn’t want to go outside. Instead she chooses to eliminate at the door.

July 28, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(52) Tracie says:

My dog is scared of water puddles and baths but she will drink out of her water dish. I got her when she was a puppy and I gave her baths and she was fine but just within the last year she will not walk in water puddles and if she gets a bath, the groomer has to tie her up so she cannot jump out.
My other two dogs love water – cant keep them out of it. I just do not understand.

August 5, 2013 at 5:23 am
(53) Parker Hands says:

My Lab/Hound Wanda, is afraid of lots of stuff. Her nails tapping the wood, the stairs, the sprinklers, loud noises, and going outside.

August 12, 2013 at 5:03 pm
(54) Bill says:

We just adopted a 2 year old female Australian shepherd mix, probably collie.
She is pretty and sweet. And either anxious and submissive or fearful. Granted we haven’t had her with us too long but our previous dog was the antithesis of her. Based upon what I have read so far she has some type of separation anxiety and fear going on. We see the vet at the end of week. Hopefully we didn’t rescue a head case.

September 8, 2013 at 4:20 pm
(55) FROM JANE says:

my 4 yr old 50 lb terrier mix has stopped drinking water. we have changed bowls, changed rooms, use bottled water. for now he is drinking some milk. pedialyte popsicles once in a while. have taken him to the vet, of course. what if he is this way all of his life?

October 1, 2013 at 4:44 am
(56) Melita says:

My 12yo male foxy suddenly fears the clicking sound of his harness when I put it on him. He cowers. He only developed this when we bought a new harness but with same lock as the old one.

October 4, 2013 at 5:16 pm
(57) Chris W. says:

My dog is afraid of his own flatulence. I feel really bad for him…every time he jumps up and turns around to see who just goosed him. I don’t know how to help him. Sometimes he can’t even get any rest it’s so bad. :(

October 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm
(58) khrystiana smith says:

My Chiwawas Pomeranian is scared of water bottles and rain and thoses little minon things that you get from mcdonalds. It bothers me to see him shake i have had him since the day he was born i love him with all my heart so it really bugs me and all i can do is hold him and tell him “that it will be ok”. I don’t now how to help him

October 22, 2013 at 10:07 pm
(59) Jane says:

My German
Shepherd barks non-stop at my leather coat. Any idea why?

November 28, 2013 at 10:27 pm
(60) justin says:

my dog is scared to death of a crucifix… any ideas why???

December 4, 2013 at 7:26 am
(61) Kayla says:

My 4 year old Australian Sheppard mix Golden Retriever, Rylee is afraid of plastic bags, corners, the hallways in the house, and the vacuum. It has gotten so bad that she is afraid to eat in the corner that we’ve always fed her at.

December 6, 2013 at 3:50 am
(62) rachael s says:

Some of these comments are sooo cute, and others are sad.

My german shepherd/boxer mix is scared of the heater vents. He always walks around them staring the whole time like he’s afraid something is going to pop out at him.

He also dislikes the dura play squeaky toys. He likes others, just not them.

He doesn’t like to walk in puddles, but if given the chance LOVES to jump into and swim in the lake behind my house.

He doesn’t like the vacuum, but seems to want to play with the riding lawnmower.

He won’t get in the shower to take a bath unless a towel is on the bottom of the tub.

But he’s great with loud noises, fireworks, kids, dogs, strangers once we invite them inside (otherwise he barks, but we kinda encouraged that for safety), the loud washer, etc. It’s weird. I wish they could tell us what’s up. Lol.

December 6, 2013 at 6:26 pm
(63) Ellen says:

OMG my 10 month old pug is afraid of the weirdest things! She’s afraid of dogs that are too far away for her to tell who they are, she’s been afraid of a sign in the ground that was tilted *ever* so slightly, she was afraid of a fake wooden deer that my neighbors put in the backyard and she’s terrified of the dark! But it’s weird because she’s not afraid of things like cats, mean dogs, coyotes that we can hear in the distance and the road! She knows to cross fast but that doesn’t stop her from being curious while we’re on walks! Dogs are weird! hahaha

January 22, 2014 at 12:23 pm
(64) Shirley says:

my dog has suddenly become afraid when we reach a certain park of the park she has gone to everyday for 6 years, some days she is ok others she runs off tail between her legs and ears down, I have to run to catch her she wont come back no matter how much I call her when I do catch her she wont settle until we are nearly home.

January 30, 2014 at 8:48 pm
(65) Lu says:

My border coli is very afraid of any clicking sound.. Never used a clicker! He is also afraid of thunder.. I think what happened is that everytime we had rain and thunder the electric fence would start clicking and then the alarm would go of.. Is it possible that he connects the clicking sound to thunder.. Cos he is now afraid of any clicking – the aircon for instance.. Is there anything that i can do to help him get over this??

January 31, 2014 at 1:03 pm
(66) Nadine Hubbard says:

We have a beagle that is approximately 2 1/2 years old. As soon as we turned on the heat she started roaming the house, whining, not letting us get too close to her, and always wanting to get out of the house. We have to use the heat so she is on medication. We don’t see any change. If anything, she is more anxious. Does anyone have any ideas?

January 31, 2014 at 3:59 pm
(67) Wheatfreeme says:

My dog has a fear of water. Not her drinking bowl or anything, just on a bridge over a river or on a wall by the sea.

February 13, 2014 at 1:54 pm
(68) larsonlink says:

My 7 month old Springer Spaniel is suddenly afraid of the sound of food cooking/frying. I think this is a result of using the vent fan above the stove because he wasn’t afraid of food cooking until we used the fan one day and he was just traumatized. So we haven’t used the fan since then but now he acts the same way when we cook. So I think he is afraid we are going to turn the fan on while cooking. He just shakes and pants and runs downstairs to the entryway. He is scared of other things too. Not a curious dog when finding or seeing something new–instantly fearful. This is troubling to my husband as this is his dream hunting dog and he is concerned that in the spring when he will start training the dog for hunting he will find that the dog is too timid and scared and not absorb the training or hunt well. We have had him since he was 8wks old and he is an excellent dog. Very calm for his breed. Listens very well and was very easy to train the basics in the beginning. I have just been chalking up his fears to his age. Not really sure what to do about the cooking situation. I was thinking about putting him in his crate before we start cooking as maybe he will feel safe in there? I have tried calling him into the kitchen and giving him a treat so he can see that there isn’t anything scary in there but he just comes and gets his treat and then runs away quick to go hide. Poor Trigger :(

February 17, 2014 at 7:25 pm
(69) Barb Dunlavy says:

I have a 6month springer and he pants and shakes when I cook. If he goes outside he won’t come in. The fan also made him upset. Once the cooking smell go away he calms down . Any suggestions to solve the phobia?

February 27, 2014 at 10:07 am
(70) Dawn says:

I have a 5 yr old small mixed breed who has always been extremely afraid of thunder and fireworks but has suddenly developed a fear of the heat coming on and the refrigerator “clicking” when it turns on!

March 24, 2014 at 11:20 pm
(71) alice says:

Afriad of big farmer boots papa wears when working outside in winter, no other footware just big farmer boots, and the vacume.but the vacume she will fight, orib because she was sucked up by kids before we got her..and car rides.