1. Home

Jenna Stregowski, RVT

Oldest Dog Dies at 21

By September 1, 2009

August was a sad month for canine world record holders. First there was Gibson, the world's tallest dog, who passed away from osteosarcoma (bone cancer). Now there's Chanel.

Chanel, a wire-haired dachshund, was the Guinness World Record holder for the world's oldest dog. She turned 21 last May, and owners Karl and Denice Shaughnessy said she was relatively healthy (with the exception of cataracts and occasional signs of senility). How impressive for a 21-year-old dog! Sadly, according to the Guinness World Records Web site, Chanel passed away on August 28th. However, it is good to know that she lived a happy, healthy life. My condolences go out to the Shaughnessy family.

The world is becoming a better place for senior dogs, mainly because of medical advancements and increased awareness about the needs of aging dogs. My own senior dog is 14 going on 4 - for this I am grateful. I only hope that she can live in good health and happiness anywhere near as long as Chanel.

So, who is next in line for the world's oldest dog title? It might be Max, a 26-year-old Australian Shepherd. His owner came forward after hearing about Chanel's 21st birthday. By the way, the oldest dog on record was Bluey, an Australian Cattle Dog, who died at 29 in 1939.

Comments

September 2, 2009 at 3:33 am
(1) Ellen May Rockey says:

My dog Hanai (which means to adopt in Hawaiian) is now 19+ years old. My Mom adopted him when he dropped on her doorstep in Hawaii, he was fully grown at that time. She had him for 18 years and when she passed away in Feb 29, 2008, I adopted him and brought him to California to live with me. We “assigned” him a birthday of Jan 1st so on Jan of 2009 he turned 19!! He’s in great health, deaf and completely blind in one eye. He is very lovable and sweet and sticks to me like an “Opihi”(an extremely delectable sea urchin which sticks to the rocks in Hawaii!) Can you tell I’m quite taken by him?? EM

September 2, 2009 at 4:49 pm
(2) Rose McCain says:

MY HEART GOES OUT TO CHANEL’S OWNERS.
MY LITTLE ONE IS MATLOCK, HE IS 17 1/2 YEARS OLD, AND HE IS EVERYTHING TO ME. I HAD HIS DADDY “MR. PUDDEN” FOR A LITTLE OVER 14 YEARS, AND I STILL MISS HIM. MATLOCK WAS BORN HERE AT HOME (MARCH 1st, 1992) WHICH IS SHORTLY BEFORE I LOST MR. PUDDEN ON JULY 21st 1992. MATLOCK LOOKS SO MUCH LIKE HIS DADDY, I WOULD TAKE NOTHING FOR HIM. HE HAS SOME HEALTH PROBLEM’S, BUT HE IS VERY LOVED. I KNOW I AM BLESSED TO HAVE HIM. I CHERISH EVERY SINGLE MOMENT.
PEOPLE HAVE LET ME DOWN MANY TIMES, BUT MATLOCK NEVER HAS………….
TO ME, THERE IS NOTHING MORE PRECIOUS THAN MY LITTLE BUDDY!
Rose McCain

September 4, 2009 at 10:19 am
(3) Texas says:

My mother’s dog passed away at 22 years old. Silly us – We did not think to have guinness book of records involved in her heartbreaking loss.
I am always surprised when people are so concerned with being famous, no matter what for, that they can’t tend to the issue at hand.
Sorry for their loss and sorry they felt like they had to involve the media.

September 4, 2009 at 1:29 pm
(4) dogs says:

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Texas, I definitely see where you are coming from, but I don’t think this is the way it actually went down.
Chanel was given the title “World’s Oldest Dog” around her 21st birthday in May 2009 – at the time she was healthy and happy. To my knowledge, they have not come forward with media interviews right now, but I am sure that they had to inform Guinness of her death for their records. I expect that is when the media became involved.
I am sure the Shaughnessy family is keeping to themselves right now and mourning their loss. My heart goes out to them.

~ Jenna, Dogs Guide

September 5, 2009 at 4:09 am
(5) Nikkp says:

My condolences to the Shaughnessy family. I know it will be difficult for a long time, but try and remember the fun times and happy memories you had with Chanel. It really does help.

I too have reciently experienced a loss of a much loved furry baby. Abbie was a 21year old Dachshund. She passed away August 14th while I was at work. I am doing better now, but I was a mess after she first passed away. I had to try and keep it together for her brothers and sister. They were with her when she died. I just want to make sure they are ok. All my dogs are older, Brittany my other Dachshund is 18 and a half, Buddha the Manchester Terrier is 13 and Buddy my Black Lab is 11. Abbie was my baby and the only way I can get past this is knowing she is with her Grandma in Heaven.

June 3, 2010 at 5:40 pm
(6) Ira says:

I noticed the name of the new oldest dog. Bluey. If you want to know where the name comes from take a look here:

June 5, 2010 at 4:37 pm
(7) josie says:

My sympathy to the Shaughnessy’s and all of you who have lost a beloved member of your family. My Pit Bull died last year at 14 & her breed may have a bad reputation but she was the sweetest, kindest, most intelligent dog ever, & deeply missed. My vet sent a lovely note about a Rainbow Bridge- it’s where they’ll wait for us until we get to Heaven.

July 1, 2010 at 6:40 pm
(8) Jaye says:

What a beautiful story about Chanel. My thoughts are with her family. We lost our loved Samoyed at 14 years and it was like losing a child to us. She loved that precious dog to her last breath. Any one of us who has loved a pet knows the terrible feeling of loss. You have all written such touching stories. I do believe that they at waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge. That is the only way I can get through each day missing her. Take care everyone.

July 7, 2010 at 8:37 am
(9) Linda says:

My sympathy goes to the family of Chanel. We know the grief that Chanels family is going through. 3 weeks ago we had our beloved lab Brandy put to sleep at 15 1/2 yrs old. This was the hardest thing we ever had to do. We miss him so much, but know he is in a better place, the rainbow bridge.

July 8, 2010 at 12:14 pm
(10) Zuuumie says:

Reminds me of how much a part of my life my dog, Laddie was, who passed away from a cancerous growth attached to his brain, just a few days before his 26th birthday.
My family & I remember returning from Germany again from military service, and how the Vet who treated him in the 1st 2 years of Laddie’s life, thenon 2other periods of time in the next 2 decades, of how startled the Vet was to see Laddie again still on the planet, stating “Laddie? Is that you?!” It was comical and amazing, and really excited Laddie as he was standing with his paws on the doctors shoulders. lapping his face.
Laddie was a German Shepard/Collie mix.
Special memories that seem like it was just yesterday.

August 15, 2010 at 10:49 am
(11) Jon B says:

Wow!!! oldest dog dies August 28th….that’s in 13 days. Do they have the lottery numbers for that day too????

August 15, 2010 at 11:12 am
(12) B.J. Mescher says:

Over the years I have lost some of my best friends,I lost Gypsy Lee, when she was 13,she was a rescued Doberman who had be beaten. I know she is in heaven, my Miss Scarlet,Boston terrier is in heaven waiting for me. I can understand the loss people feel when they lose a four legged companion. Its the comments people make that hurts, its a dog, or those who say that dogs don’t go to heaven. What little faith they have.

August 15, 2010 at 3:32 pm
(13) dogs says:

Jon B,

Note the date of this blog entry: Tuesday September 1, 2009, nearly a year ago.

August 16, 2010 at 9:10 pm
(14) Philly says:

Did they mean July 28?

August 17, 2010 at 2:26 am
(15) Parisgene says:

MY CONDOLENCES TO THE OWNERS OF CHANEL. i have poodle bishon mix Simba who’s 16. Has cateracts and a little hearing loss but still stands up to our 3yr old Rottie Gio.

August 19, 2010 at 3:38 am
(16) Kevin says:

Lestat was my German Shepard-Great Dane mixed ‘puppy’. He lived to be almost 15 yrs old – unheard of by Great Danes! He was all Dane with G.Shepard markings and fur. A bizarre but beautiful mix of both breeds. Smart, fast, loyal, peaceful and most of all a lap dog who weighed 105 lbs. Miss ya, buddy.

August 26, 2010 at 9:53 am
(17) lisa says:

To Jon B. — I know you think you are clever to have noticed the date had not yet passed, but if you had looked closer you might have seen the year of the post, 2009

August 28, 2010 at 12:09 am
(18) CarolM says:

My heart goes out to Chanel’s family. One month ago we had to have our nearly-14-yr-old Shepard/wolf (Maddy) put to sleep due to severe health problems. It was awful doing it, but necessary. Eight days earlier our 13-yr-old Calif Desert tortoise flipped himself upside down & died. It’s so hard losing family members (and that’s what they are in my eyes!) but the memories help and knowing they are in heaven puts me at peace. I’m glad to have had them in my life!!

August 31, 2010 at 3:59 pm