1. Home

great pyrenees dog breed with a child The Great Pyrenees is a massive and regal dog that is both powerful worker and gentle companion. Among the oldest of dog breeds, this breed has a long history of guarding sheep and protecting homes. Pyrs were once beloved by French royalty and nobles. Perhaps this is because of their diligence combined with calm, gentle dispositions. Their beauty and grace was surely a reason as well.

Like most puppies and adolescent dogs, young Pyrs are very active. It takes training and patience to end up with a stoic, well-behaved adult dog. Fortunately, the intelligent Pyr is a fast learner. Above all, this dog is a worker that needs plenty of exercise. If you have the space and can provide the activity, the adaptable Pyr is most likely going to fit in well in your home. This breed typically does well with children and other pets.

If you love the Great Pyrenees, tell us more by leaving your comments below. And, as always, your photo submissions are welcome.

Photo © s13610 on flickr

Comments

August 26, 2009 at 11:57 am
(1) Jim Patalan says:

Thanks for featuring this truly awesome breed! I have a 5-year old Great Pyrenees named Teddy, and besides being extremely intelligent, she is a perfect dog for where we live – high in the mountains of Central Colorado, with lots of open space and snow for her to run and play in.

August 27, 2009 at 11:57 am
(2) Jean Texera says:

We love our 8 yr old Pyr, Maggie. She is a great dog and still in excellent health. She is very calm and takes her job of guarding our house and yard very seriously – we also have plenty of room for her to run, but we live in Southern California, so she spends a lot of time in the shade on cool concrete! Surprisingly, the heat doesn’t seem to bother her much.

August 30, 2009 at 5:32 pm
(3) Fila Brasileiro says:

Great dog, great breed this is.

August 31, 2009 at 10:37 am
(4) Michael says:

You cannot underestimate the amount of time required to keep this dog’s double-coat in shape. Lots of shedding. And, if the dog is outside in anything resembling nature, burrs, stickers, leaves, twigs—everything sticks and knots in the coat. To keep cool in hot weather, they seek out water to lie, so if you have a pond, creek, or even puddle on the property, the dog will be in it.
Likewise, guarding is a serious job for them, so if barking at even familiar sounds will make you crazy, think again about a Pyr. Also reconsider this dog is you’re not up for a dog that knows what you want (obedience is easy) but often chooses to do what it wants. Independence has been bred into the dog.
Finally, calm, clear training is needed. Anything resembling yelling or negative reinforcement will simply cause the dog to shut down or become fearful.
Otherwise, I agree with all the other comments. A beautiful, affectionate dog for the right space and the right family. This “animated snowdrift,” as the dog was once called, is an amazing creature with whom to share a life.

August 31, 2009 at 10:35 pm
(5) Lou K says:

This is a breed I often forget about, but it is absolutely beautiful. The grooming would be tough, but owning Golden Retrievers has it’s share of grooming work. Thanks for the blog

September 4, 2009 at 11:51 am
(6) forby says:

This a best breed!!! Thanks!

September 11, 2009 at 12:06 am
(7) Patty says:

I have a two year old Pyr. I comb out about three size ten buckets of hair from him each week. He lives in the house with me and if I don’t comb him before he comes in each time I end up with dirt, leaves and anything else that clings to his coat. Michael up there is absolutely correct. Sometimes I don’t comb him and when he shakes dirt flies and hair goes everywhere.
But! I love this big baby with all my heart. From his big, deep bark to his nuzzling into my arms. He is as gentle a creature as can be and is friends with all other animal creatures he has met. He gently noses everything from people to cats to horses and even sat with me silently about 15 minutes while we watched a doe eating just outside his fence.
By now I know the drawbacks and the blessings that come with a Pyr. and would take all the extra time, money and attention and put it into another one any day.

September 17, 2009 at 1:47 pm
(8) MICKEY MCCULLOCH says:

WE HAVE A DOG NAMED DRYFUS. HIS FATHER IS A FULL BLOODED NEWFOUNDLAND AND HIS MOTHER IS A FULL BLOODED GREAT PRY. wE BELIEVE WE HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. HE’S A FANTASTIC DOG HIS COAT LOOKS LIKE A NEWF BLACK WITH A WHITE STAR ON HIS CHEST AND HIS FEET ARE WHITE WITH SMALL BLACK SPOTS. HIS BODY AND HEAD A GREAT PRY. HE IS ONLY 7 MONTHS OLD, SO HE LOVES TO RUN AND PLAY, BUT DOES HAVE A MIND OF HIS OWN. WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HIM COMEING WHEN HE IS CALLED. HE HAS THE GREATEST DISPOSITION HE LOVES PEOPLE AND ALL OTHER ANIMALS. IT’S FUN TO WATCH HIM AND PICK OUT HIS NEWF. QUALITIES AND HIS GREAT PYR. QUALITIES. WHEN WE TAKE HIM FOR A WALK IN THE MORNING AND AT NIGHT TWO OF OUR CATS ALSO GO FOR A WALK AND IT’S FUNNY TO SEE TWO CATS AND A DOG TAKING A WALK ON THE ROAD. WHEN WE GET TO FAR AHEAD OF THE CATS HE STOPS AND LOOKS BACK TO SEE WHERE THE CATS ARE AND THEN HE WANTS TO WAIT FOR THEM TO CATCH UP. OH WE HAVE 5 CATS ALSO. WE LIVE IN WOODBURY,TN.

September 21, 2009 at 12:56 pm
(9) Jane Brown says:

We have two Pyrs and 3 cats. When we take walks (like Mickey above), all the animals come in unison. Both of the Pyrs are rescue animals and know they’ve come to doggy heaven – 50 acres on a lake. They ward off coyotes, wild hogs, and bald eagles! Wouldn’t trade them for any other breed!

November 1, 2009 at 4:23 pm
(10) Gloria says:

We have a Great Pyrenees named Sissy Bear. She live in our house along with 3 cats and 2 other dogs. She guards them and are other animals (chickens, peacocks, rabbit, pony, and geese). She calls the cats into the dog run and then knocks on the door so they can get inside. She loves to snuggle with us and we love to snuggle with her!

November 23, 2009 at 10:59 am
(11) KAitlin says:

Im looking into getting a pyr mix with anatolian shepherd.
were might be adopting her. and she is just the sweetest thing! She loves our other dog, and get along just great! Great Pyrs are one of the best dogs you could have.. :)

February 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm
(12) Michelle Youngblood says:

I just adopted a Great Pyreness and they are the most loving dogs. I’ve owned a great Pyreness before but I had to put her down due to heartwarms. I got my first one in Germany when my husband was stationed there and she would always look for a mud puddle jump into it get all dirty run upstairs jump in the tub and get ready for her bath. She loved the snow and would dig herself a little ditch get in there and all I would see are these 2 black eyes looking at me. They are very smart animals.

March 5, 2010 at 7:25 pm
(13) Richard Schulze says:

Great Pyrenees are the best! We take our 2 year old male to the Irvine Spectrum every Friday and Saturday night for the children to pet and snuggle with a big white dog. Albert, our Pyr, is such a clown. Here’s an example.

May 15, 2010 at 8:47 pm
(14) Tina says:

My Greay Pyr “ALEX” is also a rescue. At 2 when I rescued him, he weighed 37lbs but now is 122lbs. He’s the alph house dog along with a Lab/Pit mix, a Pomeranian, & a St. Bernard/Great Dane mix. All of them are rescues and get along great together. ALEX has been doing Pet Therapy for almost 3 years and loves it. I agree that grooming is a chore, but it’s a labor of Love!

August 15, 2010 at 10:36 am
(15) aim says:

They are very sweet but a lot of work. Make sure you know all the facts before you get one. They shed A LOT. One of my friends got one because her husband wanted a big dog. Paid $1400 for him too. Once she had a baby she didn’t have time for all the brushing and grooming anymore (husband didn’t do it). When baby started crawling it was covered in dog hair, so she wound up giving him away.

August 28, 2010 at 9:56 am
(16) Sheryl says:

Ohhhhh i love my BIG boy Bailey…we live on a farm and he is what the say they are …guard dog… noone can get close to me if he dont know you….yes they do bark alot at night …but thats okay by me if i know they are barking .,,,,i am SAFE ….amazing guard dog for livestalk ….and good with other dog,cats,chickens…ect….if i could say one good thing about Bailey…he would die to keep me safe ….and for that very reson ….he is my everything …BEST BREED EVER ….

June 29, 2011 at 9:02 pm
(17) Becca says:

I have a fourteen month old great pyrenees, and he is wonderful. I baby sit an autistic little boy and I always take my dog with me, he is wonderful with this boy. This little boy can literally walk all over him and he won’t move. My great pyrenees is definitely a handful but they’re so worth it.

August 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm
(18) Savannah says:

I just got a great pyr three weeks ago that is 16 wks. She is amazing. I can’t get over how fun she is without the “hyperness” of many medium sized breeds. She loves my children, and my 10 month old rolls over her for kicks while she lays there enjoying every second of it. If she is so kind and even-tempered now, I can’t wait to see the great dog she grows up to be! But yes, she sheds like crazy!

October 13, 2011 at 12:25 am
(19) Dave says:

i’ve got a pyr named winston..best dog ever :) ..and i love their hind double dew claws :)

He surprisingly only eats 3 cups per day food

August 15, 2012 at 2:45 pm
(20) Zack says:

I have a 5 month old Great Pyr, I just weighed him yesterday and he was 72.6 lbs!! He loves his walks, but basically sleeps on the cold tile in the kitchen all day… he’s lazy. Very independent dogs, but it just makes it more sweet when they love on you by laying their heads on your lap. It’s my first dog, but He learns very quickly and is extremely smart. Unlike other dogs, these dogs look at you and pay attention to what you say it a cute way. They are the best dogs, and very protective of us!

February 20, 2014 at 3:27 am
(21) Cindy says:

We just got a Pyr/komodor mix. named, Piper. She was on a working farm and never knew love. It took her about 7 days to adjust to the change of working to love in a home and pampered but she is getting better everyday. We have had her for 3 weeks now,she is my 12yr old daughters and at night when i check on my 12 yr old,, that little pup playfully guards her from me by barking and wagging. I dont know much about this breed mix but we have kids and wanted a protector. I did not know they started so young. I think im already in love!