1. Home

Jenna Stregowski, RVT

Famous Taco Bell Chihuahua Dies

By July 22, 2009

gidget the chihuahua taco bell dog
Gidget in 2001
Photo by Chris Weeks/Getty Images
If you were watching television in the late 1990s, then you know exactly what "Yo quiero Taco Bell" means. The adorable Chihuahua behind this phrase became an instant hit and can be considered one of the most popular ad mascots of all time. Her name was Gidget and she was unforgettable. The lovable canine actress passed away on Tuesday at the ripe old age of 15 after an apparent stroke. She'll be missed by all who loved her - especially her trainer, Sue Chipperton.

Gidget did more than just Taco Bell commercials, but that was truly her legacy. She also had a small role in Legally Blonde 2 and made several other appearances over the years. Many people believe that Gidget's cuteness led to a rise in popularity of the Chihuahua dog breed in the late 90s and beyond. Despite their popularity, Chihuahuas are not right for everyone. That means do your research before you run out and get a "Taco Bell dog." They do, however, make wonderful companions in the right homes.

Gidget in the News

Related Reading

Comments

July 23, 2009 at 2:46 am
(1) Tara says:

Was sad to hear Gidget passed, she was a cutie.

I have a long haired Chihuahua named Funston (@funston on Twitter) and he is definitely a loving dog, but also protective. He is adorable and everyone wants to reach out and pet him but it makes him nervous and sometimes he lashes out. Just like to remind everyone that you need to approach a small dog like a big dog, put your hand out to let them sniff it and if they back off, then so should you.

July 23, 2009 at 2:16 pm
(2) Franny Syufy says:

I adored that little doggie and collected every single one of the series of Taco Bell stuffed dogs.

My great-uncle had a chihuahua named Jerry, who went with him everywhere. Our whole family mourned Jerry when he met with an unfortunate accident.

July 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm
(3) Chris says:

SO sorry to hear Gidget is no longer with us! Only the good die young – and the innocent!

October 17, 2009 at 6:04 pm
(4) sloane says:

hello i hav a long haired chihuahua named guicce she is a love puppy. Most luv puppies hav hearts on the side of there body but sadly she doesnt that would of been a big hit to my friends and strangers who luvs to give kisses and is a spoiled lil poochy she is cute but somtimes cn be a big brat. People say she is soooooooooooooooo cute and i agree i got guicce for a grads present. I luv to dress her up n luvin her. and if the taco bell people r reading this i plzzz considder guicee as the new taco bell dog resppond to the e-mail

July 6, 2010 at 1:25 am
(5) Leesuh says:

Just saw a stupid chihuahua running down the Cape Cod highway this evening, while people in three cars that were pulled over were freaking out. Dumb dog!

January 31, 2011 at 1:15 pm
(6) sharon says:

I loved that little dog … That was such a cute advertisement

December 27, 2013 at 8:52 pm
(7) Dolores dulaney says:

My Zora was a beautiful tri colored Chihuahua and would have had his 19th birthday on Oct 10 of this year. He died within 7 hrs and was not ill when we retired at midnite but awoke and started to vomit white foamy emisis. I blame myself for not taking him immediately to the emergency vet but waited til my vet opened at 8 am. He could not draw any bld to determine a dx. This was on Aug “31 by 10a we had to put him down as he was having so much pain. I will forever be heartbroken. I am very sorry for the owner of Gidget she too was a cutie. It is unbelievable how close and attached they become and how smart they are. I pray daily they are on the Rainbow Bridge waiting for us….