1. Home

chocolate toxic to dogs As humans, we basically know what is safe for us to eat and drink. However, it's easy to forget that our dogs cannot share all of our food. Some foods are simply unhealthy, while others can be highly poisonous. From the obvious danger of chocolate to the lesser-known toxicity of grapes and raisins, it is important to know what foods your dog must avoid.

Most dogs adore people food and will go to great lengths to access it. I truly believe that my own dog has pleasant dreams of raiding the trash can. We've had a few close calls but have been lucky thus far. As a dog lover, it is important to become educated about these hazardous foods. The next time your companion gives you the puppy-dog eyes while you are enjoying that onion-laden dinner, remember that he cannot have the leftovers. Try giving him a carrot instead.

Have you had a dog that was poisoned (or almost poisoned) from people food? Share your story here!

Photo © Frederick M. Brown / Getty Images

Comments

May 21, 2009 at 7:32 am
(1) Harold Highland says:

Although somewhat rare, Kentucky Coffee trees drop seed pods that are highly toxic. So if there are Kentucky Coffee trees around your area, be careful that you dog doesn’t eat the pods or seeds.

May 21, 2009 at 9:07 am
(2) wendy82551 says:

My pug once ate an entire pound of fudge and did not die. (He did, however, throw up all over me. In my bed. While I slept.) Both of my dogs have eaten pretty much every “poisonous” human food known with no ill effects. I asked my vet about this, and he said, “Not all dogs are allergic to these foods. Some are allergic to just some of them and some are not allergic at all. The problem is, you usually don’t find out whether or not they’re allergic until they’ve eaten it, and if they ARE allergic, the result is deadly.” I mention this only so people don’t get completely hysterical if their puppy eats a chocolate chip.

May 21, 2009 at 9:34 am
(3) Cyndy says:

My brother’s German Shepherd got very ill from drinking rain water. She had gone out into the yard after it had rained for several hours and lapped up an undetermined amount from a puddle. Apparently the puddle had already formed some bacteria. She was only 10-months old and became very ill. She was listless, would not eat or drink. The treatment included antibiotics and IV fluids. It took about two weeks for her to recover.

May 21, 2009 at 11:40 am
(4) Vick says:

We have a very large grape arbor, despite spring pruning it ends up hanging quite low.
Our dog eats every grape he can reach, and never seems to have any bad effects (except me yelling because WE don’t get any grapes!).

May 21, 2009 at 4:02 pm
(5) Doglover for ever says:

OMG!!! I never knew onions were not okay for dogs. What about Ice Cream? My dog once licked some ice cream and she is still fine to this day.

May 22, 2009 at 3:12 pm
(6) emily says:

we allmost lost our lab to xylotol it is serious way more than chocolate. it also can be found in toothpaste.

May 23, 2009 at 2:19 am
(7) Stacy says:

I’ve had dogs get chicken bones, but fortunately no problems.

My dogs have had small amounts of garlic and onions with no problems but they are large dogs. They’ve also had very small amounts of chocolate. An example would be a small amount of Cherry Garcia ice cream.

What I have had problems with is a dog that eats ROCKS. It finally came under control by identifying the situations where he eats rocks and by giving him a bone during those times.

May 25, 2009 at 5:17 am
(8) tammy says:

We have a dog who just loves people food. One day my husband was smoking a turkey outside and the fat from it drips into this pan underneath the smoker. Anyways, after the turkey was done, he took out the pan that holds the fat in it. The dog got into it and ate quite a bit! He was so sick, and now whenever my husband gives him anything with even a little bit of fat on it, the dog gets sick. Did my husband learn a lesson from this?? Not yet, but he’s working on it.

September 7, 2010 at 5:40 pm
(9) charlie says:

haha wow no but i hav a question my dogs two yrs. old nd i feed him bout 1 or 2 peices of sandwich turkey with his dry pet food nd i do it everyday is it bad tht i do tht i mean could it kill him?

September 7, 2010 at 7:57 pm
(10) Dogs Guide - Jenna Stregowski, RVT says:

In short, probably not. However, check the label on the sandwich turkey. If it is high in fat and/or sodium, then it is not an ideal food to give him (especially if your dog is overweight). Think about the amount you give your dog according to his size (one or two pieces for him might be like four to six pieces for you – or even more for a small dog). Also, check the ingredients for onions and other toxic foods. If the turkey contains these, then you should stop feeding it to your dog. Onions, even in small quantities, can have a buildup effect leading to anemia.

May 26, 2009 at 10:47 am
(11) Kathleen Law says:

My dog grabbed an ear of corn (uncooked) and my other dog ran and grabbed half of it out of the other dogs mouth, they both ingested part of the cob. After $900, they finaly after 7 – 10 days got rid of the cob, between vomiting and going to the bathroom and ultrasounds, they survived the ordeal. I thought I knew all the bad foods for dogs but never knew about the cob. Don’t ever let your dog near a cob!!!

May 27, 2009 at 1:02 pm
(12) mswilma says:

Not related to topic but….
Have you read the information on the link from this site to http://www.canineseizuresbreakthrough.com? Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. I don’t believe I would want to be associated with this link if I were you.
Perhaps you could check it out. No respectable pet food manufacturer would do the things this guy claims!
I think he is just trying to tear at heart strings to make money.

May 27, 2009 at 1:21 pm
(13) dogs says:

mswilma –

It sounds like you clicked on a “sponsored link” (an ad), so it’s basically out of my control unless it is highly offensive. There are tons of these types of sites out there trying to sell a “tell all” book with bits of truth sprinkled in exaggeration. I don’t know for sure whether this one holds any truth, but I certainly did not choose the link. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Jenna – Dogs Guide

May 31, 2009 at 8:18 am
(14) Thomas F. Heringer says:

A number of years ago one of our dogs loved just about anything that she was not supposed to eat. We tried to keep it to a very minimum, but some did get by us one of those was chocolate. Eventually Princess developed Lymphoma, we are reasonably sure that this was not due to an occasional imbibing of forbidden food for dogs. Our vet once this diagnosis was confirmed told us that at the point we were at to allow her the luxury of eating what ever she liked. This included the double whammy of chocolate and ice cream, sometimes not even separate.

May 31, 2009 at 3:11 pm
(15) David Megnin says:

I came home one day and found that my 9 pound miniature pinscher had gotten into a bag of dark chololate M&Ms that my wife has left in a bag on the floor. I weighed the bag and determined that she had eaten about 6 ounces of dark choloate, the worst kind for dogs. Luckily she puked a great deal for the next 24 hours, so must have eliminated most of the choloate and did not suffer any other ill effects. I kept finding steaming piles of pure choloate puke inside and outside. I’ve never been so happy to see my dog puke!

April 29, 2011 at 11:23 pm
(16) vett says:

m&m’s are milk chocolate only!!

June 10, 2009 at 7:39 am
(17) anonymiss says:

Food poisoning of dogs is a serious matter. Itís better to know how to avoid dog poisoning rather than too late. You should check out this information on how unkempt and dirty environment can poison your dog.

September 26, 2009 at 8:01 am
(18) SunnyRainbowHeart says:

To commenter #10, M.S. Wilma, no that website is not a bunch of crap. I’m a medical researcher and have encountered his website several times before and checked it out.

May 27, 2010 at 12:14 am
(19) Arnie K says:

I fed my dog cooked chicken bones his whole life and he died at abour 14. I guess it it tooka long time to kill him.

May 30, 2010 at 10:23 am
(20) Leeroy says:

i have a 30month old half lab and half pitbull.he has survived parvo and distemper.(cost me over$1600).anyway,after dinner one night,he got a hold of a corn cob.he ate the whole thing up like it was a sausage link.i was worried at first,but my dog is extremely resiliant.so for the next 24 hours,his poop looked like piles of corn that had gone through the blender.no other symptoms.hes fine.

June 9, 2010 at 7:41 pm
(21) Patricia J says:

My 3 year old Cocker Spaniel found a bag of Dove dark chocolate under my pillow while I was at work. I came home to an empty bag and some of the foil scattered about. He had about 7 of the 8 ounces and a good amount of the foil too! I was terrified and called our local PetSmart and was able to reach a Vet at 8PM. He asked about his breed, age, weight and had me give him Peroxide to induce vomiting. Note, it must be the correct amount or can also be fatal. He gave up all the chocolate and foil within 15 seconds. Other than keeping me up all night from the caffiene, he was fine. ALWAYS call a Veterinarian if uncertain about any foods.

July 1, 2010 at 9:00 pm
(22) Faith M says:

My last dog, Eureka could unzip zippers, and after I seriously cautioned a cousin against the perils of leaving anything edible in his bag, he figured a two pound box of Chocolate fudge buried in his suitcase would be unidentifiable to our Super Dog. Unfortunately, he was wrong…while we were out to dinner, our Dog, Eureka (named partly for the vacuum cleaner she seemed to represent) carefully unzipped my cousins bag, gently extracted the box of fudge, then rapidly devoured it! My cousin confessed to leaving his suitcase on the floor, thinking the dog could not possibly open zippers…several hundreds of dollars, a trip to the animal hospital, and a ruined carpet later…the dog survived…she also opened and scattered a childproof bottle of extra strength tylenol, leaving the red and blue pills licked but not swallowed…they checked her system at the animal hospital, and there were no signs of acetaminophen in her body. She was the best dog ever, but a totally food-obsessed nightmare!

July 2, 2010 at 3:06 pm
(23) DebbySue says:

My grandmother died in 1994 at the age of 96. She had dogs all of her life. So what did people feed their dogs before dog food was invented?

July 2, 2010 at 5:01 pm
(24) Jachooz says:

Chocolate IS toxic to dogs…. but usually one serving, no matter how large, will not do the trick. It is something that must build up in the dog’s system in order to cause problems. Most dogs can handle some chocolate in a small amount. Some will get the runs or vomit….it’s the long term effects that are dangerous.

July 4, 2010 at 4:43 pm
(25) Jonathan Mark says:

One night my wirefox terrier found a box of chocolates on the floor and ate the entire box. She later started convulsing. We took her to the vet and he said “it might do her in.” The next morning she was sitting up in her cage and was okay, but it was a close call. I was very grateful to the vet hospital.

July 6, 2010 at 11:08 pm
(26) Jess says:

@Jachooz: You’re wrong. One dose of chocolate, if it’s large enough, can kill a dog. And to everyone who’s saying “oh my dog ate this and was fine,” there’s 10 people out there telling the story of how their dogs died. These things are labeled as dangerous for a reason. Certain things are more fatal than others, but it’s dangerous to shrug it off, and it’s irresponsible to tell people not to worry about it. I’ve seen several dogs get very sick but survive thanks to prompt medical attention. The sooner they get to a vet after exposure, the more likely they are to survive. I’ve also seen dogs come in only after symptoms begin, sometimes days after ingestion, and several have died (dogs from chocolate or acetaminophen ingestion, cats from lily ingestion, etc). It’s a serious risk to pets, and should be taken seriously.

July 19, 2010 at 5:06 am
(27) benla says:

CORN COBS – My 2 year old boxer had emergency surgery this weekend to remove pieces of a corn cob. He stole it out of the trash when we were not paying attention (shame on us), and ate the whole thing. After a day of vomiting, we brought him to the emergency clinic. Thankfully he is OK and will be home this morning… My credit card, on the other hand, is NOT OK. almost $3k for that ear of corn!!

August 26, 2010 at 8:42 pm
(28) rs1201 says:

I have a Rottie that I love dearly and although I work and leave him alone in the house, he has never gotten into anything he shouldn’t have. He loves eating and I have to watch his weight because the vet told me that his knees will give out if he gains weight. I keep him lean by feeding him a high quality dry dog food and supplementing it with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. He eats baby carrots, kiwis, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, bananas, blackberries, watermelon, cherries, peaches, nectarines, broccoli, cauliflower, peanuts, almonds. I just don’t bring into the house anything that would do him harm…no chocolate…no grapes…no onions…and anything else that I know will hurt him. I’ve managed to keep him healthy for the last 4 years and pretty happy. People at work tell me that they’d like to come back after death as my dog…

September 10, 2010 at 4:44 pm
(29) chuddy says:

my puppy (quagmire) is 8 months old . we walk every day and he always eats other dogs feces, i try to watch and have him avoid the other dogs feces, but quag’s sometimes finds at least one or two piles everyday. i always carry a plastic bag with us when we walk. will the other dogs feces harm him?

March 29, 2012 at 6:12 pm
(30) donna says:

i had a pitbull she was ten months old she also would sometimes get into the garbage and try to eat poop anyways she got realy ill on us she started where we knew something was wronge where she was laying under the table not wanting to play i took her to the vet right away they gave her iv fluids and some meds we brange her home but she contnued to get worseto where she was vomiting blood and pooping it to of course we took her back to the vet they did all they could do for herwe watched her suffer it was the worst thing i think i been threw i loved her so much we ended up haveing to put her down they never did figure out what it was but let me tell u she is sadly missed we think about her and miss her so much