1. Home

Jenna Stregowski, RVT

Lucky Dogs?

By March 17, 2009

bark if you're irish squeaky dog toy old navy
Squeaky Toy from Old Navy
Photo © Jenna Stregowski
Happy St. Patrick's Day! Anyone who has spent even a little time around dogs knows that Lucky is one of the most timeless and common dog names. According to a list published on dogtime.com, Lucky is the 18th most popular name for male dogs. Bow Wow Meow ranks it at #12 and offers some quick facts about the name.

Many dogs are named Lucky after they have been fortunate enough to escape or survive an injury or illness. Some people in the veterinary world joke that it is actually unlucky to name a dog Lucky. While there are no studies to back this up, it does seem to me that an awful lot of dogs named Lucky end up at the vet hospital in various predicaments.

What do you think about the name Lucky? Is it good or bad luck - or does it even matter? After all, dogs don't know the meaning of the name. Share your fun stories of dogs with good or bad luck (whether or not they are named Lucky). And have a lucky day!

Comments

March 17, 2009 at 3:04 pm
(1) Dog Guy says:

I tend to prefer more unique names for dogs, but hey – some dogs are just lucky. Maybe consider “Fortunato” (Italian translation for “Lucky”) or “Chanceux” (French translation for “Lucky”).

March 18, 2009 at 5:23 am
(2) Sophie Carter says:

um doooooooooesnt matter

March 18, 2009 at 6:23 pm
(3) easy going says:

I dog named…and he was anything but Lucky. He bit my brother, got in fights with my other dogs, and shed all over the house….Anything but Lucky!

March 18, 2009 at 10:50 pm
(4) Veronica says:

Our family yellow lab (male) was named Lucky! We saved him from a pound in Alb., NM when he was only a couple of years old. He had be adopted and brought back three previous times for jumping fences and was going to be put down the day after our visit to the pound. (The funny thing is that we didn’t even plan a trip there, we just went to see). When we first heard about his story we felt so bad for him but there was a deeper connection between this dog and my brother. We could not leave him there knowing he would be put down the next day so we took him home with us and named him Lucky :) That dog became everybody’s best friend. He never once hopped the fence in our back yard and he considered himself more of an 80 pound lap dog than anything!! He would follow my brother as he mowed lawns, stand in the middle of rivers with him as he fly fished, and never once left his door when he was away at school. This dog was apart of our family. He had such a lovable sense of humor to him as well. If you tried to play fetch with him he’d just stare at you as if to say, “you just threw it…now you go get it!!” Well 15 years of memories and travels went by and he grew old and fragile. My sophomore year of high school, my brothers first year out of college, Lucky was diagnosed with cancer from the massive tumor on his right hind leg. After that we also found out he had extreme arthritis in his hips. That year was the hardest to watch our Lucky dog suffer so much. We never knew which day would be his last and that is something you can never prepare for. One more he was walking down the stairs and slipped and fell about four stairs to the hard wood floor beneath him and couldn’t stand back up. It was then we knew. My father took him to the vet and Lucky was laid to rest later that day. I will never forget our Lucky dog because not only was he lucky that we happened to stop by the pound that day but we were truly the lucky ones to have been able to share our lives with such an amazingly magical dog for 15 memorable years. Every memory I have until my sophomore year in high school is with that dog, and he will always be more than just a dog to me in my heart.

March 21, 2009 at 12:31 pm
(5) Therese says:

I think that for males it should be G. Luck(G is for Good), but called Lucky. Fe,ales could be Clover, short for 4-Leaf Clover. Clever, no?

July 22, 2011 at 9:37 pm
(6) Stefanie says:

I work in the veterinary field and the name Lucky is so unlucky! Within the last week, a dog was hit by a car and a cat was diagnosed with lymphoma, their names were Lucky. I can think of another dog who was hit by a car, one attacked by another dog, and a cat whose leg needed to be amputated all within the last 8-12 months. I also believe if you name your animal Angel or Sweetie, it will become a terror (not as common as Lucky is bad, but a definite trend)!

April 17, 2013 at 1:03 pm
(7) Gil Sticka says:

My Dog (yes capital D) Lucky lived for 14 years and was the best dog I have ever shared time with. He was a great friend and a wonderful being. I miss him greatly, more so than I can describe. Lucky was smart, loyal with out end and we had a truely wonderful relationship. It is a great name for a friend I named him Lucky when he was 8 weeks old because I was Lucky to have him in my life. Best Dog Ever.

February 28, 2014 at 6:03 pm
(8) Lisa says:

Lucky Dog is, a derogatory, American ,slang that refers to (mostly) men who get a good fu&$#g and really don’t deserve it.

In Germany they say “I had a pig” to mean the same thing.