1. Home

labcuteness Our dogs are always number one in our own minds. But what I'm talking about here is dog breeds. Is your dog one of the most popular dog breeds (or mixed with one)? My Lab-mutt is my number one, no doubt. As it turns out, she's also mixed with the most popular breed in the United States, according to the American Kennel Club. Each year, the AKC releases breed registration statistics. Here's the top five for 2008:
  1. Labrador Retriever
  2. Yorkshire Terrier
  3. German Shepherd Dogs
  4. Golden Retrievers
  5. Beagle
Check out the full list to see where your dog falls.

Photo "Labrador Cuteness" © 2008 Katheryn Harris

Comments

May 27, 2008 at 8:01 am
(1) mel says:

Hi read the article on most popular dogs..surprised to see my American Staffie Bulldog way down on the list.in my town these are very popular dogs…Had my guy for 10 yrs now..sweetest nicest animal on earth….too bad the bulldogs (or pitbulls as some would like to call them) have such a bad rap….personally I haven’t met one I haven’t loved immediately…

May 27, 2008 at 11:18 am
(2) Bertha says:

My Border Collie Theo is not only number one in MY heart, but in everyone’s who meets him. He’s #1 in intelligence and personality and gives me a reason to get up in the morning.
He can catch three frisbees and pack five. He plays ball like a pro.

May 27, 2008 at 4:39 pm
(3) Pam says:

Nothing more loving than my cocker spaniels. Guess its all in who is doing the scoring.

May 27, 2008 at 9:02 pm
(4) Mel says:

If anyone has ever been around a Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie), they would see the intelligence and extreme loyalty these dogs display. They are absolutely beautiful dogs that are great with all members of the family. Everyone that met our Sheltie loved her.

May 27, 2008 at 11:27 pm
(5) Erica McAleese says:

What about a true “mutt”? They might not be pure breds but they are very popular and most loveable.

May 28, 2008 at 12:41 pm
(6) Puppydazzles says:

My ‘grandpuppy’ is a mix of the #2 dog breed. She is a mix of the Yorkshire terrier and Maltese. Very cute and lovable dog. Great companion

May 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm
(7) Lissa says:

The reason the American Staffordshire Terrier (aka, or refered to as the American Pitbull Terrier by most breed organizations as well, just not the AKC) isn’t higher on the list is because most APBT/Staffies aren’t registered with the AKC, but other organizations like the UKC (which was created entirely just for the purpose of registering APBT’s/Staffies). There really isn’t a good total head-count on the Staffy/APBT in relation to other breeds popularity. Having two shelter adopted APBT’s myself, I can attest to the good nature of this breed as well. Unfortunately, popularity has been mostly bad for these breeds attracting plenty of bad owners/breeders as well as some good ones. Just a visit to most local animal shelters that do not euthanize upon recieving APBT’s prior to temperment testing and you will be amazed at how many APBT’s/Staffies are sitting in shelters! Our local shelters on average have about a 70-80% APBT/Staffy population at all times. I think the story most shelters tell is a better testament of just which breeds are popular, whether it’s a good thing or a bad thing.

May 28, 2008 at 4:20 pm
(8) susan says:

My Pug may be #14 on the list but he is #1 with me. He’s affectionate, sometimes a velco dog, bright , intelligent and learning to be my service dog. I love him to pieces

May 28, 2009 at 2:58 pm
(9) Pattie says:

Believe it or not my puppy is a german shepherd yorkshire terrier mix and yes of course i believe she is #1….

July 7, 2010 at 5:18 pm
(10) breb says:

I agree with Pam….my 16 year old Cocker Spaniel is # 1 with me too, very loyal, loving, and protective, she is an absolute joy and I dread the day I loose her…